The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best quality hardware
Old 8th September 2019
Here for the gear

Best quality hardware

Hi

I would like to hear different opinions and experiences with different brands/types of hardware. Im after the most solid, reliable, with the highest quality possible. Heavy duty, heavy weight is not any issue.

Is Yamaha as good as I've heard?

The thing that make me question Yamaha is that I've heard that the steel Yamaha is using is not of particular good quality. And stands that is not tight with play in the legs etc. Overall reckling hardware.

I have had a dw 9000 tom stand that seems good, with tight legs and construction. What is you'r opinions in this topic?
Old 8th September 2019
I'm still using the Yamaha hardware I got ~1990. I've since switched from Yamaha shells to Gretsch, but keep using the Yamaha hardware. It's easier to position and a slicker design.

That said, pretty much any modern name brand is going to have decent hardware on the top tier kits, it's not rocket science.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

I would say DW hardware is the gold standard. Seems like there’s quite a few professionals that endorse other brands of drums but still use DW hardware.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
DW 5000 & 9000 series hardware is great if you can justify the cost, I don't play out enough to justify spending $100 - 140 on a straight cymbal stand or $130 - $180 on a boom cymbal stand. I use two of the Tama Road Pro straight/boom stands and they work great, they go for $90 new, I highly recommend!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I like the 9000 hardware except for the pedals. To heavy for me. I just switched back from Trick to DW 5000 pedals.

Yamaha Tama, Pear typically have at least 2 levels if not 3 levels of hardware.

Cheapest, midle of the road
Quality lightweight for people who carry gear
Quality heavy for people who dont move or have others carry the gear.

Iron cobra and Axis pedal have been popular for 30+ years for a reason.

Trick drums has some cool stuff worth a look.

The important thing is the pedals to me.
After that, will the largest singl mount Tom not rotate on you!

I love ludwig kick drums, but don't much like the hardware.

Never used a modern gretch kit.

Some Yamaha stuff if very very high end.

As far as sound goes:
Japan made stuff will have more overtones, high frequency content
Ludwig, extra lows
DW, extra mid-lows

I am using DW toms with Ludwig kick. Just tried a tama snare, was not the right pitch for the kit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dw 9000
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I use DW9000 now.
It takes a ridiculous amount of abuse but it is heavy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Appreciate all these opinions and thoughts.

I have a dw 9000 single pedal, and I like it. Like punchy pedals tho. My next upgrade will be a double pedal, but don't think I will go for a dw 9000 double. Have looked in to yamaha fp9 and czarcie Kopyto. I have also thought about dw mdd/mcd pedals. Have a yamaha 900 snare stand, and it seems very good. I also have a yamaha 900 throne, but it have some annoying play and rattling in the legs.
Old 4 weeks ago
I own DW 9000 and Sonor 600 series and feel the Sonor is more refined hardware. Smoother edges and smoother movement as well. IMO
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only complaint I have with yamaha hardware is that at least one high end series from the '90s had some play in one specific point, between the base and the first adjustable-height tube, because the base tube was a bit too large.
Everything else from them is the best hardware I've used, and I've never had any issue with play, stuff moving when it wasn't supposed to...
And it's a fair bit cheaper than the DW9000 series of hardware, which I've never had the pleasure of trying.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search