The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Snare drum head suggestions: aiming for a ringy, super resonant sound
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

Snare drum head suggestions: aiming for a ringy, super resonant sound

Hello, I've had the same drum heads on my drum set since about 2003 or so; the only heads I've replaced in the interim that I can remember is the one on my snare drum, which has an Evans Genera HD Dry head for the batter and a stock resonant head with a slight hole in it.

Now at the time, the Genera HD Dry fit the sound I was going for...but my tastes have changed over the years, and I'm looking for a much brighter, "pingy" sound with decent sustain. Plus...I mean come on, it's a drum head from the mid-aughts, it's about time I change it.

Do you have any good suggestions to go with? Obviously I don't need something terribly thick for a resonant head...thanks!
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Addict

Remo Ambassadors (either clear or coated) on the batter side are about as ringy as it gets. To control that, you might want to stock up on moongels . The Remo head won't hold up as long as the Evans Genera HD Dry you've been using (single ply compared to double ply), so if you are a hard hitter you might want to consider that as well. On the snare side either an Ambassador Hazy or a Diplomat Hazy (which is thinner) should work fine...

BTW - IMHO the Genera HD Dry is an awful head. It's double ply and way too dead for me. The Genera Dry (not HD), is a single ply and sings a lot more. You might want to start with one of those.

Good luck on your search...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Try Evans power center reverse dot, or G14.

I think they will deliver the sound you are looking for.

Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

As @ Suspects insinuated, the thinner the heads and the less damped they are, the more they will ring. Along those lines, the tighter the heads are tuned (providing you are not choking the snare) the more it’ll resonate. Deeper snares tend to resonate more than shallow snares too. So for example a 6.5” deep snare will ring more than a piccolo snare, all things being equal.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Nut

Remo diplomats are thinner than ambassadors. Coating also dampens the ring of the drumhead.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Addict

Diplomats are very thin heads, and great for jazz and orchestral work. If you are playing Iron Maiden covers, they are probably not going to hold up for too long...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Remo coated Ambassador on top (or clear, if you want a shinier, less "earthy" tone) and a clear Diplomat snare side. Wider snares (20-strand, as opposed to 16), tensioned sort of loose, will give you a nice, balanced sustain. Balance all of this with playing technique that makes the drum sing (playing closer to the edge than dead-center and playing the stick "off the head" as opposed to dead sticking and leaving the stick on the head) and you should be getting a lot closer to what you're describing.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search