The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
drum rack's or not :(
Old 3rd June 2007
500 series nutjob

drum rack's or not :(

which do you prefer a drum rack or the old fashion stands, ( but newer )?
ok!
why?
Old 3rd June 2007
Gear Addict

Depending on your situation, I prefer stands. I now have a rack (pearl square) and it offers me fairly little pro's compared to stands. Its space economical, meaning you dont have many tripods touching the ground. However if you're handy with mem locks and soforth I can see it saving you a lot of time if you have to setup a kit over and over again every night. I think the number of moveable metal parts in a stand should be taken into consideration too when recording.

Verdict: stands!
Old 4th June 2007
Here for the gear

Smile

I bought a rack about 18 months ago and have never looked back. There were a few reason for this.

The first one was so my drums and cymbals were in exactly the same position everytime I had to break my kit down and put it back up. Even though I had all the stands marked, it was never quite the same, now I have no problems.

Secondly, it cut down the weight of the hardware. I had a lot of double braced stands, with really heavy bases. Once I had bought the rack I could get rid of all of the stand bases, as well as some of the middle sections of the stands, so I made a large saving in weight and my back thanks me for it everytime I move my hardware case!!

I'd have to go with the rack....
Old 4th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Should or not there be a concern with vibration transfer with a rack when recording?
Old 4th June 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

pan, here's a good thread about drum racks from this very forum:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/drums...drum-rack.html
Old 4th June 2007
500 series nutjob

thanks
Jax
Old 15th June 2007
Gear Addict

you have to ask yourself... do you wanna look like a jerk or not?
fuuck
Old 15th June 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahellam View Post
you have to ask yourself... do you wanna look like a jerk or not?
fuuck
and
Old 16th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stringerfinger View Post
Should or not there be a concern with vibration transfer with a rack when recording?
Yes. Racks make stuff vibrate a lot. It just depends on how anal you are....
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

In the media and in drum mags I'm seeing and enjoying the clean kick drum and minimal cymbal stand look. You get to see the player a bit more and the kit looks cooler... but never the less I am going the rack route!

I play on a single kick using a double pedal and I can mount a no leg snare stand off of the rack. I can get rid of the legs of my conventional snare stand and tidy up that area. I can even improve the situation more by mounting a no-leg hi hat stand as well.

I'm going with a gibralta rack as the Pearl one is far too noticable. It look like scafolding with a pearl logo on it!

The rack seems to offer faster set up and break down times as you can drag the thing on and off the stage easier and with the clamps left in place you will get a consistent set up whereas with individualpeices all over the place you will need a marked drum carpet to get a consistent placement of the kit. You might be able to fold the rack rather than breaking it down if your band has a van or bus etc.

With a minimalist kit the rack is less useful.

Peace,
cortisol
Old 17th June 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
and
Yeah, me too. W t f?
Old 3rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm going with a gibralta rack as the Pearl one is far too noticable. It look like scafolding with a pearl logo on it!
I dont know why but that made me laugh!! It does look like scafolding youve ruined it for me heh
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

Well i choose stands because my drumset is not 50000000000 parts but i could see the advantages of one if you needed it but they are heavy and abulky and i just dont like them
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
which do you prefer a drum rack or the old fashion stands, ( but newer )?
ok!
why?
It seems to me that racks used to be more popular than they are today. I know stands were first but it seems now that racks look, well maybe not old-fashioned, but "dated".

I have never seriously considered getting a rack system. I can see that consistent set-up is a big plus, but I don't get a consistent amount of space on stage from gig to gig, in fact I don't even always bring the same pieces. Besides the agony of setup and teardown is part of the drummer's masochism.

I guess I also prefer a simpler 'look'.
Old 15th August 2007
500 series nutjob

never having evan been close to a drum rack it is not something i can say much about, but it would just seem to me that it would be easier to deal with?
but, i have no issues with stands, and at this point it looks like i will just go with what i have.
but,
i have not ruled out the rack as of yet.
my drums do not leave the studio so i will just contemplate the rack for some time more.
the way it is look though i will probably pass on the rack.
thanks
guys
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Nut

If u have studio only kit you're probably better with stands .but for regular gigs or any gigs rack wins hands down 4 me. The benifets of relyability, consistancy and ease or setup and pull down far out weigh the negitives caused by vibration through the rack. im very fussy about drum and cymbol placment. Every time I set up my drums r in exactly the same place. I never have 2 adjust stands, clamps, anything. I dont have to even Break down my stands. Just pull them out the rack and put them straight into the hardware box. NOTHING EVER MOVES! There is nothing I hate more than pulling my hats/kick/floor back in to pozi half way through a song. For me this is a thing of the past, and I FARKIN THUMP MY DRUMS!
Old 24th November 2011
500 series nutjob

i was think about making a rack, but i will probably just stay with the stands.
heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search