The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best LDC for Kick-Out
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Best LDC for Kick-Out

Hello guys, I'm still new at recording/mixing and I'm looking for a large diaphragm condenser to use as a kick-out mic. I'm looking for something with a good bass response, that can handle huge amounts of SPL (I believe around 140 dB would be ok), since I record mostly pop/rock and metal music. I already own an AKG D112 for kick-in applications, to get that "clicky" sound, so now I want something outside to give me some bottom-end and some air too. I also plan to buy an EV RE20 sometime in the future, but my current preamps don't have enough gain for it right now. So in the future, I plan on using the AKG D112 for kick-in, the RE20 for kick-out (close) and this LDC for kick-out (far) or even FOK (front-of-kit). Therefore I'm looking for some advice on a good LDC for kick-out applications, around 1000 euros (I can go up to 1300 euros maximum).

I've already done some research on the topic and I've found some options, so you can also give me your opinion on these: Mojave MA-300 Tube Microphone; Neumann TLM107; Roswell Delphos II; Lauten Audio Clarion FC-357; JZ Microphones BH1S; Shure KSM44A.

Of course I'm looking for a kick-out mic, but if the mic also excells on other sound sources (like vocals) it would be even better, so versatility is also a plus factor.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Of course I'm looking for a kick-out mic, but if the mic also excells on other sound sources (like vocals) it would be even better, so versatility is also a plus factor.

I have used a number of LDCs for kick out and they all have performed well. I have used Neumann U87, Bock 195, AKG 414 - all sound really good in that position. I get pretty picky about inside kick mics, but outside I feel there is a lot more leeway.

I think your quest for versatility is wise and in fact I would encourage you to place an even greater emphasis on it. In other words, for me the kick out mic I choose is often what microphone remains after the others have been allocated.

Considering your 3 mic strategy for recording kick drum, this kick out mic is only going to be a small component of the total kick sound.
Old 16th June 2019
I wouldn't worry about the gain with RE20 on a close miked kick drum, anyway my favorite LDCs in this aplication is lowly Audio Technica 4040, amazing low end and not expensive at all.
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I have used a number of LDCs for kick out and they all have performed well. I have used Neumann U87, Bock 195, AKG 414 - all sound really good in that position. I get pretty picky about inside kick mics, but outside I feel there is a lot more leeway.

I think your quest for versatility is wise and in fact I would encourage you to place an even greater emphasis on it. In other words, for me the kick out mic I choose is often what microphone remains after the others have been allocated.

Considering your 3 mic strategy for recording kick drum, this kick out mic is only going to be a small component of the total kick sound.
Does the Bock 195 has enough SPL? The Soundeluxe U195 only handles 125 dB according to sweetwater. It says it has a -10 dB pad, but still it would be only 135 dB... is that enough?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelMartins View Post
Does the Bock 195 has enough SPL? The Soundeluxe U195 only handles 125 dB according to sweetwater. It says it has a -10 dB pad, but still it would be only 135 dB... is that enough?
It's always been enough for me. Maybe if Sasquatch is playing the drums...
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

What do you think about the Shure KSM 313/NE? I know it's a ribbon, but it can handle 143 dB... do you happen to know it?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelMartins View Post
What do you think about the Shure KSM 313/NE? I know it's a ribbon, but it can handle 143 dB... do you happen to know it?
no, sorry I have no experience with that mic
Old 5th September 2019
I'd look into something like the Lauten Audio LS-208, 270 degrees rejection angle.
Old 6th September 2019
Horch Fet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search