The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I bought som Regal tip blasticks. BUT!
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

I bought som Regal tip blasticks. BUT!

Some years ago I played some really worn out blastics on a regular basis. They were so torn up that they almost sounded/felt like brushes, and I really liked that. I own some old "brushes" made of wood that kind of sounds like a hybrid between brushes and blastics. They're more heavy/stiff, but they will only last a few more hours before they are completely broken.

So I thought I would try to artificially wear out my blastics. Any drummers in here that have tried out doing the same thing? Or do anyone have any creative ideas on how to achieve that? I thought about using a sharp knife and just cutting the tips up for 2-3 cm. But I don't know if that is the best way to do it.

Anyone have any ideas/tips on the best way to do this?
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
just cutting the tips up for 2-3 cm
I would not cut all of them - usually when mine wear out, individual dowels break - one by one - and so instead of 20 in the end there are - let's say 15. So if you went down a couple of inches, and clipped 5, it might behave like a worn one.

Quote:
...artificially wear out my blastics. Any drummers in here that have tried out doing the same thing?
I have done something like the opposite. I have opened up my old rods, and salvaged the intact dowels, and heat-shrinked them together to make a 'new' one. I do believe it is true of many sticks and rods and such, that brand new ones are too stiff and old ones are too beat up and that somewhere in between there is a 'perfect' degree of decrepitude.

These days, however, there are many manufacturers making many varieties of rutes of varying thicknesses, dowel size, material and rigidity. Some are really heavy-duty with plastic dowels on the outside for longer life. Others are really thin and delicate.

It is quite possible that there is something out there that -even when new- gives you a bit of that 'broken-in' quality.
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for the tip! That's a very good idea.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I would not cut all of them - usually when mine wear out, individual dowels break - one by one - and so instead of 20 in the end there are - let's say 15. So if you went down a couple of inches, and clipped 5, it might behave like a worn one.

I have done something like the opposite. I have opened up my old rods, and salvaged the intact dowels, and heat-shrinked them together to make a 'new' one. I do believe it is true of many sticks and rods and such, that brand new ones are too stiff and old ones are too beat up and that somewhere in between there is a 'perfect' degree of decrepitude.

These days, however, there are many manufacturers making many varieties of rutes of varying thicknesses, dowel size, material and rigidity. Some are really heavy-duty with plastic dowels on the outside for longer life. Others are really thin and delicate.

It is quite possible that there is something out there that -even when new- gives you a bit of that 'broken-in' quality.
An update for you. I first tried using a very sharp knife to split some dowels, but there wasn't even a chance to cut that hard plastic with a knife. I then decided to use a saw to do so "general" damage to the tips. That worked out pretty well. They broke up nicely.
BUT I didn't try out playing them at this point. I then used a sharp scissor to further divide up the tips. IF I had stopped here I think it would have been perfect! But it didn't look blunt enough to me, so i started to bend the dowels evenly outwards from around 3 cm down on the "stem". This is were I ****ed up.

Playing cymbals is now perfect with them. I can smash them hard enough that I I can "get into the vibe", but I ruined them regarding transients on snare and toms.. They're almost worse than brushes on the actual drums, because brushes at least have some heaviness that can provide some level of punch.

At least I learned something, haha. I'll just buy some new ones, or buy a brand/type that is closer to what I was looking for. But anyways, just wanted to share my experience in case other people want to try out what I tried doing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search