The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustic/digital cymbal triggers
Old 8th June 2019
Here for the gear

Acoustic/digital cymbal triggers

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm interested in building a hybrid drum kit for recording. I want to blend all acoustic sounds of my kit with software sounds (including cymbals). There are plenty of acoustic drum triggers on the market that can be used to blend the acoustic sound of the drums with software drum sounds (I like using superior drummer 3), but how can I record cymbals acoustically and also collect midi data from those cymbals to blend softare sounds with the acoustic cymbal sounds? I've been looking for somthing that can do this and I just can't seem to find any piece of gear that can.

Also, how do you feel about jobeky drum triggers? They are cheap and from my research, they seem to sound great. I don't have any ttiggers yet to make my kit hybrid, so any recommendations when it comes to the best triggers would be appreciated!
Thank you all!
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharry7 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm interested in building a hybrid drum kit for recording. I want to blend all acoustic sounds of my kit with software sounds (including cymbals). There are plenty of acoustic drum triggers on the market that can be used to blend the acoustic sound of the drums with software drum sounds (I like using superior drummer 3), but how can I record cymbals acoustically and also collect midi data from those cymbals to blend softare sounds with the acoustic cymbal sounds? I've been looking for somthing that can do this and I just can't seem to find any piece of gear that can.
any microphone can serve as a trigger. You have two problems here. One is that you will need to mic up each individual cymbal (as opposed to just running a pair of overheads) because otherwise you won't get specific triggering. Even there, you will only get one "zone" unless you have two triggers per cymbal. If you strike the bell of your cymbal, your mic will hear that but the trigger might be programmed to put out an edge sound.

The second issue is that you can't use cheap crappy mics if you care about keeping the acoustic sound. Cymbals are hard to record well.

Quote:
I want to blend all acoustic sounds of my kit with software sounds (including cymbals).
and not for nothing, but many of us have a very low opinion of software cymbal sounds. While sampled toms and snares and kicks can sound pretty good in the context of a mixed track, sampled cymbal hits are generally ugly and fake-sounding. My idea of a 'hybrid' drum recording would be a pair of real overheads recording real cymbals and only triggering toms and snare and kick. When I am programming purely electronic drums on a pad, I will overdub real cymbals if I want to make it sound convincing as a real kit.

Quote:
Also, how do you feel about jobeky drum triggers? They are cheap and from my research, they seem to sound great.
I don't know the brand, but usually the "sound" quality of a trigger is immaterial. It is being used to create an impulse to make the digital software spit out the designated samples. IOW, it can "sound" awful and still be an excellent trigger.

Quote:
I don't have any ttiggers yet to make my kit hybrid, so any recommendations when it comes to the best triggers would be appreciated!
If this is strictly for recording and you want to keep the acoustic sound of the drums, why not use the mics on those drums as your triggers? All a 'trigger' is, is a cheap microphone that tells the software which drum was hit, when, and how hard. Most dedicated triggers make lousy mics as far as the acoustic sound quality they pick up. So you will have to mic up your drums with mics anyway.

I used to find triggers very useful in live playing for reinforcement. But I never needed to trigger the cymbals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search