The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum Mics Recommendations?
Old 1st June 2019
Here for the gear

Drum Mics Recommendations?

Hi guys,

I’m interested in purchasing a set of drum mics to record a pro quality album with. Interested in your recommendations.

It will be a heavy rock album and the drumming style is in the vein of Bonham, Dave Grohl, Chuck Biscuits etc (heavy hitters).

My drum setup is your basic 4 piece setup with a crash on either side, ride and hats in usual position. I play an early 90’s DW collectors kit (14” snare, 22” kick, 13” rack, 16” floor).

Using my Pro Tools rig to record (using MOTU interface & preamps).

I’m thinking a 7 mic setup will be good, with additional room mic and hi hat mic as optional:

1. Kick
2. Snare top
3. Snare bottom
4. Rack Tom
5. Floor Tom
6. Overhead 1 condenser
7. Overhead 2 condenser
8. Hi hats (optional)
9. Room (optional)

Right now I’m leaning towards Shure as it’s in my budget. Beta 52A for kick, SM57’s for the snare and toms, a pair of SM81 condenser mics for overheads. Hats potentially another SM81 and room mic unsure.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear
Hi John. Any recommendations you will get here will be useless without you marking a budget limit, so please add that to your post.

Last edited by TuviB; 3rd June 2019 at 08:40 PM..
Old 5th September 2019
The Lewitt Beat Kit Pro 7 mic set is what I would recommend and maybe a Ribbon like the Royer R10 for very bright stuff like cymbals or hi hats.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Guru

BD: Sennheiser e602 II
SD: Audio Techinca ATM23he (if you can find one)/sE V7/ Beyer M201
Toms: Beyer M88/sE X1D (if you can find them)/ Sennheiser 421
Overheads: Octava MC012 (SDC) sE T2, AKG 414, sE 4400, Neumann U87, U67 (LDC) Various Ribbons
Rooms: AT 4050 (LDC), sE X1R (ribbons), EV 635a (dynamic omni)
Hats: M201, EV PL10 Dynamics are kind of the key here IMNSHO.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Have fun:
1a. Kick: Audix D6
1b. Kick: Shhure Beta91a
2. Snare top: m201
3. Snare bottom: Senn MD441 (also great for vocals)
4. Rack Tom: Audio Technica ATM25
5. Floor Tom: Audio Technica ATM25
6. Overhead 1 condenser: Audio Technica AE3000 (also good on toms)
7. Overhead 2 condenser: Audio Technica AE3000
8. Hi hats (optional): SM57
9. Room (optional): PZM/boundary mic or ribbon mic such as sE X1R
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear
Kick is a personal choice. Check out this:
http://recordinghacks.com/2012/06/08...-mic-shootout/
Snare: SM57, UnidyneIII is better. Other good snare mic's Byer201/revox3500, MD431, PR40, Many LDC's if willing to risk it. e906 are decent for the cash and supper cart w/ 3 eq settings. Yamaha MZ204/205 are great.

For toms, again do you want moving coil, LDC, ribbon? Yamaha MZ101/204/205 are good if you can find em. Advanced audio CM47fet are cheap enough to use on toms. My fave is MD409, but they are not cheap any more.

Overheads. I like Coles 4038. But not right for every tune. a pair of CM414 would be worth having.

Vocals, get a few AA tube mic's or a Lawson, Neumann current, 67FET w/ inner mod, lots of choieces and price ranges.

My main of tube pair is AA-CM67SE

You gonna always want a few mics, : RE-20. SM7B, MD421, SM57, one older EV mic....any of em.

At least one set of workhorse ribbons: 121, 84, 4038. the 84's are best bang for buck, are great on many things. The coles is a one trick pony, but it's a very nice trick.

So picking overheads is the pricy part. decide on LDC tube or 414 or ribbon. I don' t suggest SDC for overheads unless you spend more than $1,000 each on them. KM84, C55P, DPA, MKH line, shuweps....cant spell it
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Guru

In my room I tend to prefer SDC to LDC on overheads. The Octavas have been a staple. I'm reviewing the Røde TF5 right now, and have gotten some nice sounds, including trying them ORTF and Glyn Johns.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search