The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
issues swapping heads ?
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

issues swapping heads ?

Have you ever ran into issues when you put a head back on? I want to use some different heads on different tracks. I don't expect single ply heads to be a problem of they are lined up to the same spot on the shell. Two ply heads on the other hand concern me. I have had heads out off the box not have plys not lay flat. Taking them on and off could potentially cause issue. Had anyone had such problems?
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Guru

if the heads are not rotated to a different orientation they should fit back on no problem

and even rotated should not be a big issue unless there is some slight warpage to your drums

I used to use the same set of drums for two bands and i wanted two different sounds. I would swap heads back and forth back and forth sometimes twice a week.

I would just go for it
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
if the heads are not rotated to a different orientation they should fit back on no problem

and even rotated should not be a big issue unless there is some slight warpage to your drums

I used to use the same set of drums for two bands and i wanted two different sounds. I would swap heads back and forth back and forth sometimes twice a week.

I would just go for it
I always line the logo up with the drums badge so that won't be a problem. I don't worry about switching single ply heads but two ply always give me pause since I have had issues with them in tnt past.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Head

Problems could be, if the shell is slightly out of round or the heads have dings or pits.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

It shouldn't be a problem.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Have you ever ran into issues when you put a head back on? I want to use some different heads on different tracks. I don't expect single ply heads to be a problem of they are lined up to the same spot on the shell. Two ply heads on the other hand concern me. I have had heads out off the box not have plys not lay flat. Taking them on and off could potentially cause issue. Had anyone had such problems?
I don't know if you want to put tape on your shells, may screw up the finish. However, I have found wrapping the shell up to the bearing edge with (electrical in my case) tape until the head doesn't move in any direction, an invaluable tool to keep drum tuning constant. I found out through years of experimentation and the need to keep drums in perfect tune with a tunebot that the vast majority if not all issues of detuning occur when the head is pulled to one side, because even with the new evans rims and such, they still never sit flush enough with the shell so they won't move/pull when playing.

So I decided the finish doesn't really matter under the rim, no one will see it anyway, so just wrap the shell over and over keeping within the width of the tape, until the head sits rock solid. Even then it will still detune slightly but it's much more stable. Different head on the same shells wouldn't really work though without retaping every change. They should make heads with some kind of compressing foam or something to deal with this. Surprised few drummers know about this
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I don't know if you want to put tape on your shells, may screw up the finish. However, I have found wrapping the shell up to the bearing edge with (electrical in my case) tape until the head doesn't move in any direction, an invaluable tool to keep drum tuning constant. I found out through years of experimentation and the need to keep drums in perfect tune with a tunebot that the vast majority if not all issues of detuning occur when the head is pulled to one side, because even with the new evans rims and such, they still never sit flush enough with the shell so they won't move/pull when playing.

So I decided the finish doesn't really matter under the rim, no one will see it anyway, so just wrap the shell over and over keeping within the width of the tape, until the head sits rock solid. Even then it will still detune slightly but it's much more stable. Different head on the same shells wouldn't really work though without retaping every change. They should make heads with some kind of compressing foam or something to deal with this. Surprised few drummers know about this
I am more concerned about the plys of the head stretching and no longer laying flat together killing the head. I have had plenty of issues with Remo heads doing that. I thought it was mfg defect.And mostly still do but wanted to see what others have experienced

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search