The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fat, distorted, coloured drum sounds
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear
Question Fat, distorted, coloured drum sounds

I've been recording drums for a while and while they sound okay, they always end up coming out a bit plain and bland and I love the sound of these drums here but have no idea how they are achieved (both interms of the drum head choice + the micing + processing_). Could anyone help me out here?? cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7pjMOclOwU

Last edited by No6h; 4th May 2019 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: adding link
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

This is purely speculation, but I'll make some attempts at how one could get to a similar sound.

The drums themselves are very dry, and recorded in a very dry space. That's the starting point. Lots of tape or other muffling on the drums. Then put gobos/blankets around the drums. Put the mics pretty close to the drums for maximum proximity effect.

In the mix (and maybe in tracking) there's a good amount of compression. Adjust the attack control to get a good attack, and the release to keep the sound short, with a longer time. The ratio is probably on the higher side. There might be a gate on the snare, and the reverb sounds like a classic short gated sound on the snare. Its gives the "shish" sound but cuts of sharply. Overheads seem to be mixed really low, just enough so you know there are cymbals, but not enough for that "sound of the whole set" type sound. The OH are probably compressed pretty hard as well (or maybe a dominant parallel compression) that creates some sucking motion. There's a good amount of nice saturation, not pointy and harsh, but thick and round saturation.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

sounds to me that in addition to whatever compression and miking, they might be run through some actual distortion.

There are plenty of plugins that will give you the ability to dial in some 'hair'.

Soundtoys Decapitator is a favorite of mine. Their Devil-Loc can also be cool for this. Both have blend controls so you can be subtle or not subtle about it. The Sansamp plug has some presets for drums. Any amp sim might be useful and worth a try.

I have also reamped the drums through a real guitar amp, miked it up and blended that back in.
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks so much! I'm still working on the acoustics of my studio but as it is a smaller room it's definitely heading towards that dry sound. I've had some success reamping vocals before so I will definitely try that too. Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search