The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What gear to get vintage drum sounds.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

What gear to get vintage drum sounds.

More of a hypothetical because im not a drummer nor in the market. But I was watching a Rick Beato video where he interviews Vinnie Colaiuta. He mentions near the end that, drums sound punchier back in the 70s, and says its because of tape. I don't know if tape is the isolated variable, but im extremely curious.

So nto make sure I'm not bull****ting myself, I put on the latest King Crimson album, the track "The Facts of life". Well, the drums were just as dull as i had anticipated and, though, they made a good effort (it sounds much better than other stuff in 2003), they sound like a pug trying to be intimidating. Felt like full on Nepolian Syndrom in musical form. I listened to Exiles, Off Larkus, and the pitter pattern and subilty of the drums impact on the melody was much more pronounced then whatever The facts of life was. Do want to note, all drumming on the album was electronic, so... I wanted to do the test with Genesis's remake of the song Carpet Crawlers but i'd be even more biased than I already was

I don't know too much about drumming gear, and was wondering if any of you had an idea.

Last edited by Retkid; 13th April 2019 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: felt like adding that
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Extremely hard question to answer and something I’m obsessed with. So many variables. The actual kits tended to have more rounded edges back thenwhich changes sound. The bass drum were a little shallower. The approach to micing was different as was playing style. Tape is only a small part of the answer. Listen to Brothers album black keys. Zero tape but very old school tones, albeit with more low end.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Listen to Brothers album black keys. Zero tape but very old school tones, albeit with more low end.
He gets a really 70s sound in this video. They go through the signal chain of each mic:

Once you've got the drums, the room, the mic placement, and the playing right, you just need a signal chain something like this on every channel:

BAE 1084 > DBX 160(VU) > Valley People Kepex > API 535 line amp > API 560A

Shouldn't be too expensive.
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Extremely hard question to answer and something I’m obsessed with. So many variables. The actual kits tended to have more rounded edges back thenwhich changes sound. The bass drum were a little shallower. The approach to micing was different as was playing style. Tape is only a small part of the answer. Listen to Brothers album black keys. Zero tape but very old school tones, albeit with more low end.
Listened to The Black Keys-These Days[Brothers], if you played the drum track i'd assume its something from the mid 60s. Theres a lot to be obsessed about in this topic
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
He gets a really 70s sound in this video. They go through the signal chain of each mic:

Once you've got the drums, the room, the mic placement, and the playing right, you just need a signal chain something like this on every channel:

BAE 1084 > DBX 160(VU) > Valley People Kepex > API 535 line amp > API 560A

Shouldn't be too expensive.
It is even worse! They recorded that in Muscle Shoals with a vintage Universal Audio console.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retkid View Post
Listened to The Black Keys-These Days[Brothers], if you played the drum track i'd assume its something from the mid 60s. Theres a lot to be obsessed about in this topic

Yeah lots going on with vintage drum sounds. The hardest thing to nail and the most vibey drum sound there is, in my view. For my take on it, I use a 60s Ludwig kit, Coles 4038 stereo setup in recorderman placement with Akg d12 on bass drum, some room mics in the bathroom with door open and above snare if needed. A bunch of transformer and tube pres like electrodyne, Redd, API, neve etc. If slow song, I’ll send a bit to my EMT plate. The whole thing costs a damn fortune. More than I’m ever willing to admit to myself!
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Guru

It all starts at the source. You have to make the drums sound in a maner that you desire, then start dealing with microphones. Don't be afraid to deaden the drums and the room, as necessary.
Old 5th May 2019
The gear is just one part of it. If you're talking 70s, you're talking deadened drum booths. The trend at that time was to isolate the kit in it's own small room so there would be no bleed into other mics, the rooms were sometimes carpeted and generally treated so as to kill all reflections. Most 70s drum sounds are very dry... think Al Green, for example. In the 80s, live drum sounds became the thing and drum kits got moved into the main room. The 60s sounds were more varied, some dead rooms, some live.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retkid View Post
He mentions near the end that, drums sound punchier back in the 70s, and says its because of tape.
yeah, the tape they put on the heads with a wad of tissue paper

when you kill the ring of a drum, you get more of the strike and a quicker decay = so, "punchier"

only half-joking here.

I was recording drums in the 70s. I did not have single-headed toms but a lot of guys I know did. I did use all sorts of weird heads, certainly not the same mics we use today, as mentioned, lot more small dead drum booths, different ideas of placements. Different 'fashions'.

I am not going to sit here in 2019 and say "it's the recording medium" .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search