The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for getting a decent Phil Selway (Radiohead) sounds in a drum VST
Old 5th April 2019
Here for the gear

Tips for getting a decent Phil Selway (Radiohead) sounds in a drum VST

Hello everyone, been reading the great threads here for a while, but thought I'd give it go on the community.

Anyways, I'm trying to make a decent Phil Selway preset for my drum VST (using AD, but I know people prefer others). I was wondering if anyone had done the same. Obviously it wouldn't be perfect which I'm OK with - just want an approximation. To me he sounds pretty dry and plays with a light touch. How do you think he sounds? If you were going to try to do the same how would you set up the conditions? What would you do production-wise? I've gotten the cymbals and hihats decent enough, kick OK, but my snare isn't even close. Also, I'm happy to invest in a new drummer VST too if one is clearly better than another (seems a lot of people like EZ Drummer).

cheers
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

are you talking style or sounds? Selway played Premier Signias for a long time.. find some samples of those to start.
Old 29th April 2019
Try running the bus through a Kush UBK-1 or something similar.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Head
what about your snare isn't close? you'll want to start with one in the same ballpark as what he's using, but besides that you can manipulate the pitch and envelope of the snare in AD as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search