The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bottom rim worn down significantly near snare mounts
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Bottom rim worn down significantly near snare mounts

Or, probably why I should have maintained my drums better.

I bought a Pearl Forum drum kit in 2001 or 2002 and used them for about a year in a band as a drummer but then let them sit for a long time. I used them occasionally, mainly for adding a beat to a demo I recorded, and for a handful of songs my band and others I've recorded. Since I've moved into a new house and upgraded my recording rig I've been using the drums more often. Out of sheer laziness and also with the excuse of how infrequently I used them, I never changed any of the heads except for the snare batter head a few years back. I also tuned them maybe 3 times in the past 17 years but bought a drum dial a month ago and using that, made them sound pretty good! My band's backup drummer and soon to be recording session drummer gets gear with a musician discount/at cost, and very awesomely gave me a set of batter heads for my snare, toms, and bass. But for the snare, he gave me a couple different Evans heads, a G1 and a G2. I figured I would put the G2 on the batter head and the G1 on the snare side, then buy the resonant heads for the rest of my kit and tune that sucker up and record some actually-good sounding drums for once!

Well I only got as far as taking apart the snare drum, because when I took off the bottom head, a bunch of sawdust came out. I am not a drummer by nature but even I know that ain't right. I hope the pictures show it, but over the years, somehow the rim got worn down by a visible amount, and somehow around where the snares cross the rim. I am certain that this is related to my utter lack of maintaining the kit over the years, and I accept that I might have to take a loss on the drum. But, to finally get to my question here: is this the end of my snare? Or could I put the G1 on the rim and tune it up and have it sound acceptably good? Or is it catastrophically dunzo?
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom rim worn down significantly near snare mounts-24b581eb-f400-4ab2-b56b-034e588a2da6.jpg   Bottom rim worn down significantly near snare mounts-cf287b84-0aef-41e7-858a-d0ae7adff62c.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear

I just decided to put the head on and see what happens. It took a while with the DrumDial to get the tension even around the rim but once I got it pretty close, the thing sounds pretty good! I put up some mics and will try it out on a tune this weekend
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut

My Ludwig classic maple also shows this "wear" of the bearing edge near the butt end and the throw off. I remember it being a design feature that improves the contact between the snarebed and the reso head. Yours seems unusually wide but that might be attributed to lens distortion of the camera.
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Guru

That's an indication on how soft the wood on the Forum series is. I'm sure you can still play the drum.
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks you guys!I re-tracked the drums on something I'm working on. They're sounding alright, and the snare sounds good.

I hope soundcloud links work: New Drums Test by Anthony Maietta | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by GTRTony; 23rd March 2019 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added a link to a sound file
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRTony View Post
Well I only got as far as taking apart the snare drum, because when I took off the bottom head, a bunch of sawdust came out.
Did enough sawdust come out to account for that depression in terms of volume or mass? How much 'wear' does that part of the drum receive? You don't play on that head. The only thing that is moving are the snare wires and they are on the other side of the head, not touching the wood.

most snare drums have a snare bed cut into the bottom rim on purpose

snare bed

Last edited by joeq; 21st April 2019 at 04:36 PM..
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear

Joeq: a LOT of sawdust came out! the thing is I hadn't touched the head for over a decade. This is when I popped open the drum head. I had to carefully move myself off the lazyboy just after this pic was taken, ha. I feel like the amount of sawdust did account for the huge scoop. I either had it on the snare stand or sitting in storage/the basement for the whole time. I never hit, tinkered with, or really even looked at the bottom of the snare. I only even changed the beater head once in so many years. I'm chalking this one up to severe neglect, although now that it's tuned with a G2/G1 on it, it sounds pretty darn good!
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom rim worn down significantly near snare mounts-img_2275.jpg  

Last edited by GTRTony; 21st April 2019 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: added more answers to Joeq's questions
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear

That link is cool, and there had to be some sort of bed in the rim. I just feel like I widened it by a good amount with all that sawdust! the head must have been super loose and just slowly rattling and chipping away over the decade-plus. I am optimistic that in the coming months when I actually maintain my drum kit and change out the batter head at least, I'm gonna check on the snare-side head and keep my fingers crossed there's no additional sawdust
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Head

Those are the snare beds. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. The wood dust is just 17 years of drum sticks shedding and getting stuck between the collar of the head and the drum.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Joeq: a LOT of sawdust came out! the thing is I hadn't touched the head for over a decade. This is when I popped open the drum head. I had to carefully move myself off the lazyboy just after this pic was taken, ha. I feel like the amount of sawdust did account for the huge scoop. I either had it on the snare stand or sitting in storage/the basement for the whole time. I never hit, tinkered with, or really even looked at the bottom of the snare. I only even changed the beater head once in so many years. I'm chalking this one up to severe neglect, although now that it's tuned with a G2/G1 on it, it sounds pretty darn good!
That certainly does not look like enough sawdust to account for the 'scoop'. Not in weight and not in volume.

Sweep that sawdust all together, mush in some Elmer's glue and try to build your rim back "up" to the same level as the rest of the drum. You don't even have enough to do one side

Snare beds are standard on nearly all snare drums, even metal ones. I agree with Retrovertigo - I bet all of that sawdust is flayed drumsticks. Think about it, how hard can a smooth plastic head "rub" against the wood? Of an 'infrequently' used drum?

Quote:
now that it's tuned with a G2/G1 on it, it sounds pretty darn good!
Yes, because the drum is still pretty much as it needs to be, and now it has new heads.
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

While there was a lot more sawdust than what was in the picture (that was just what came out when I slightly opened the head from the drum just a little, I was sitting in a chair and didn't want it all over the chair), it both makes sense and makes me feel better that it is or could be drum stick dust. But how would that get inside the drum? the head on top would't have allowed it in right? The head stretches over the drum. ...unless it fell in from the very loosely tightened bottom rim. ...ok now I can see that!

I won't lie: if I didn't change that head for so many years, I probably won't again for at least a good few months. But when I do I'll report back if there's any additional sawdust, and try to take a better picture of the rim. The scooped out part looked really wide, much wider than the snares themselves and that plus tons of sawdust kind of freaked me out. Granted I know very little about drums, hence posting about this here, but what pics I did see online looked like the scoop wasn't much wider than the snares themselves. Then again, they're cheap Forum series
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

Oh, and thank you all!
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or, probably why I should have maintained my drums better.

I bought a Pearl Forum drum kit in 2001 or 2002 and used them for about a year in a band as a drummer but then let them sit for a long time. I used them occasionally, mainly for adding a beat to a demo I recorded, and for a handful of songs my band and others I've recorded. Since I've moved into a new house and upgraded my recording rig I've been using the drums more often. Out of sheer laziness and also with the excuse of how infrequently I used them, I never changed any of the heads except for the snare batter head a few years back. I also tuned them maybe 3 times in the past 17 years but bought a drum dial a month ago and using that, made them sound pretty good! My band's backup drummer and soon to be recording session drummer gets gear with a musician discount/at cost, and very awesomely gave me a set of batter heads for my snare, toms, and bass. But for the snare, he gave me a couple different Evans heads, a G1 and a G2. I figured I would put the G2 on the batter head and the G1 on the snare side, then buy the resonant heads for the rest of my kit and tune that sucker up and record some actually-good sounding drums for once!

Well I only got as far as taking apart the snare drum, because when I took off the bottom head, a bunch of sawdust came out. I am not a drummer by nature but even I know that ain't right. I hope the pictures show it, but over the years, somehow the rim got worn down by a visible amount, and somehow around where the snares cross the rim. I am certain that this is related to my utter lack of maintaining the kit over the years, and I accept that I might have to take a loss on the drum. But, to finally get to my question here: is this the end of my snare? Or could I put the G1 on the rim and tune it up and have it sound acceptably good? Or is it catastrophically dunzo?
That's called a snare bed. It's supposed to be there and wad built that way from the factory.

A g1 on the snare side is a mistake. It's way too thick. You want something like an Evans 300 for that
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search