The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Snare wire resonance issue
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear

Snare wire resonance issue

I’m having a problem with my snare wire vibrating (not resonating, excuse the Subject typo) each time I strike my toms. I had to tune both my snare heads really tight to minimize that effect:

1. Is this normal?

2. Is there anything that can stop it?

I tried putting moon gels on the snare’s resonant head but that didn’t work.

The drum set is in a small church with a wall directly behind the drummer.

Thanks!
Robert Ash
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Guru

It's normal in my world. I like it.

In fact, I've been known to pull the res head off the kick drum and put a second snare drum in there upside down to make the kick drum "speak" on small speakers without having to EQ in upper mids.
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear

Brent,

Thanks. Maybe I’m too much of a purist in that regard then. I’ll confer with the other musicians and see what they think.

Best,
Robert Ash
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Guru

Its just something that happens. you can attempt to minimize it, but it will almost always be there. I ALWAYS have the strainer right in front of me, and for longer sections where I don't play, I'll flip the snares off so that it isn't distracting. In a song, while the band is playing (and I'm playing too) it isn't an issue.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear
This happens. The solution is re-tune the drums. This may include trying different head combinations.

DW at one point went so far as to put put pitch stamps on the drums and worked out a set of heads that allows you to tune the top and bottom head to the same pitch as the drum. All so the toms and snare would not interact.

Most use a thinner head on the bottom vs the top. In that case, the bottom is commonly a 3rd or 5th higher pitched than the top. Then things get really messy with interactions.

It's never perfect. A very long fight to get things to a decent sounding combination.

On that subject. One detail often overlooked is matched cymbals. One Cymbal a 1/2 step or single hole step from other Cymbal make the entire kit sound like crap. You can't tune a cymbal.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Guru

I agree a certain amount is inevitable, but if it is really obvious, I will try to tune the snare and the offending tom 'away' from each other. Usually tune the tom more than the snare.
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks very much for the great tips and perspectives, it’s very helpful.

Right now I have tuned the drums apart but it’s been via tuning the snare higher.

I’ll keep in mind to that I may also need to try tuning the entire set lower if I need to tune the snare lower in the future.

Robert Ash
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDrummer View Post
Right now I have tuned the drums apart but it’s been via tuning the snare higher.
Considering that in most songs you are going to be hitting the snare at least twice in every measure and the toms only occasionally - probably during fills - it makes more sense to make the tom the drum that gets 'modified' or tuned away from where you would like it to be.

Some drummers might like a really tight snare. But if they did not, I think it would be a real drag to be forced to play that way just for the same of the toms! YMMV
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Considering that in most songs you are going to be hitting the snare at least twice in every measure and the toms only occasionally - probably during fills - it makes more sense to make the tom the drum that gets 'modified' or tuned away from where you would like it to be.

Some drummers might like a really tight snare. But if they did not, I think it would be a real drag to be forced to play that way just for the same of the toms! YMMV
Agreed
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDrummer View Post
I’m having a problem with my snare wire vibrating (not resonating, excuse the Subject typo) each time I strike my toms. I had to tune both my snare heads really tight to minimize that effect:

1. Is this normal?

2. Is there anything that can stop it?

I tried putting moon gels on the snare’s resonant head but that didn’t work.

The drum set is in a small church with a wall directly behind the drummer.

Thanks!
Robert Ash
I tape the snare to the bottom head, in three places to stop this. You can start in the center, which will mute the center pitch of the drum, which is no big deal, as the snare already mutes it, so most of the tone you hear on snares is from the rim pitch. But it will change the response of the snare to some degree. I don't like too much snare sound anyway (I even cut several wires off), I like as much tone as possible, but YMMV.
Old 3rd April 2019
Drum sizes and tuning,..

I have a fair amount of snare buzz when hitting toms,.. Oddly enough it's not a problem when recording. It's there but it adds weight and body rather than a distraction.. Good for rock, blues or jazz..

Maybe not for super clean sampled type music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search