The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mounting a few old drum pads/triggers in a tight space
Old 21st February 2019
Mounting a few old drum pads/triggers in a tight space

Hi all. Just picked up a few vintage Roland PD-20 drum trigger pads to control a vintage Simmons SDS8 drum module. They aren't here yet, but I'd like to have a mounting solution ready to go. I'm not sure where to start - can anyone tell by looking at the photos what these would be mounted to? Would it go onto one of those textured arms similar to a cymbal boom or floor tom leg? What are those things called?

Either way, if someone has some ideas as to how to mount these in the most space-efficient way possible, that would be great. Like I said, I just don't know how to start looking up mounting hardware because I don't know what any of it is called. I'm obviously not a drummer. Thanks in advance!

Old 24th February 2019
Gear Guru

Looks like a pretty standard tom mount.

Use the terms "tom mount" "tom stand" "L" or "L arm" to find them

there are all kinds of these and many will indeed clamp on to a cymbal stand. Others mount coming out of a kick drum.
Here is a nice one with a ball and socket joint that allows for fully optimal positioning.

The knurled L-arm goes in the diamond shaped opening you see on the metal end of the drum. The larger opening can probably grip onto practically any tubular vertical unit such as a cymbal stand, tom stand, or even a thinnish mic stand.

You could mount two on a single stand like this

Although the triangular shape is unusual, it is possible that you can get it to sit on a snare "basket" stand as well. If you are setting up to approximate an actual drumset, you could use a snare basket for the "snare" and even for the "floor tom", but the basket type mounts do not always go up high enough for "rack toms". Some do and some don't.

Quote:
in the most space-efficient way possible
are you concerned about the footprint of stands or of the pads themselves?

spatial efficiency should not be your main goal. Playability is what you should be after. You want to mount the drums so that are comfortable to play on, are stable (don't tip over, don't "rock" when played hard), give good rebound and with heights and angles that encourage smooth movement from one drum to the next.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear
Those old pad are hard on the wrist. Get sticks with a rubber core to help that out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search