The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Supraphonic: Any reason to buy vintage (70s) over new?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Supraphonic: Any reason to buy vintage (70s) over new?

Hi. I'm not a drummer but I'm trying to build up a quality drum collection for recording. Being that the Ludwig Supraphonic is a legend I would like to acquire one. I've seen vintage used ones in good condition for around the same price of a new one. Since they are metal is there any reason not to buy a new one with no history? What would a vintage one give me a new one wont?

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elginchris View Post
What would a vintage one give me a new one wont?
rust

Last edited by joeq; 2nd February 2019 at 01:48 AM..
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elginchris View Post
What would a vintage one give me a new one wont?
about $250 left over in your wallet.

The way your question is phrased it seems as if you are concerned that a vintage Supra will command a premium price. If it were a microphone or a guitar, maybe it would. But the other word for "vintage" is "used"

A new one is about $500 and a "vintage" one like this 1970's Supraphonic on eBay is only $200.

Full disclosure, even though I own a bunch of vintage Ludwig drums, I am not one of those guys who knows what year they went from this badge to that badge. I don't know which one is the cool one to get, if any. If you are not a drummer yourself and are just looking to have a "house kit" for your studio, my advice is don't over-spend.

Quote:
the Ludwig Supraphonic is a legend
It's a good choice and good to have a full kit so that if people want to just show up with their sticks you are ready to go.

But in my experience as both a drummer and as an engineer, I have noticed that the one piece that is most often swapped out from the house kit is the snare. If I had a nickel for every drummer who looked over the house kit and said, "nice, I'll just bring my own snare and my pedals", I could melt all those nickels down and make a dozen snare drums.

In sum, the snare is the one piece of the house kit that will probably get the least use from the clients.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
They're pretty durable; the usual wear items like the snare wires and obviously the heads are easy to replace.

I have an Olive badge one from late 70s that I bought for 200 off eBay years ago and I slapped some new heads on it and it was good to go. It is pitted all to hell, but I couldn't care less.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
If you are not a drummer yourself and are just looking to have a "house kit" for your studio, my advice is don't over-spend.
Very much this.

My house and shared gig kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom.

With decent heads and tuning it does a fine job- I don't let unknown quantities near by Gretsch/DW/Yamaha Recording kits.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for the great points and helpful advice. It sounds like picking one up off Craigslist for a couple hundred and showing a little TLC is a good option.

Last edited by elginchris; 3rd February 2019 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It's a good choice and good to have a full kit so that if people want to just show up with their sticks you are ready to go.

But in my experience as both a drummer and as an engineer, I have noticed that the one piece that is most often swapped out from the house kit is the snare. If I had a nickel for every drummer who looked over the house kit and said, "nice, I'll just bring my own snare and my pedals", I could melt all those nickels down and make a dozen snare drums.

In sum, the snare is the one piece of the house kit that will probably get the least use from the clients.
This is true, but the snare is the thing most often swapped from song to song. So having a few good snares is a really good idea.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
This is true, but the snare is the thing most often swapped from song to song. So having a few good snares is a really good idea.
It's nice to have a couple tuned up a few different ways too.

Funk song? Acrolite 14x5, cranked as tight as it can go, Ambassador vintage.

Hard rock? Supra 14x6.5, medium tuning, Ambassador black dot head.

Roots/folk/indie? Yamaha Oak Custom 14x6.5 tuned low, Emperor coated.
Old 5th February 2019
I A/B'ed vintage against brand new on a drum sampling session once and none of us could I hear a difference. I wanted to think the 'vintage' was better.
So, I guess just go with price and condition.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
It's nice to have a couple tuned up a few different ways too.

Funk song? Acrolite 14x5, cranked as tight as it can go, Ambassador vintage.

Hard rock? Supra 14x6.5, medium tuning, Ambassador black dot head.

Roots/folk/indie? Yamaha Oak Custom 14x6.5 tuned low, Emperor coated.
There's no such thing as too many snare drums.
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I A/B'ed vintage against brand new on a drum sampling session once and none of us could I hear a difference. I wanted to think the 'vintage' was better.
So, I guess just go with price and condition.

This helps a lot. Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search