The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Foot Hat?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Smile Foot Hat?

I recently created a thread looking for half-open hat samples. Now, I'm looking for what I believe are called "Foot Hat" samples. I'm not a drummer . . . so I don't know the correct terminology. This is the sound made when a drummer stomps on the pedal to open and close the hat. There are no sticks involved. I'm trying to build a Zildjian 15" hat kit to recreate an authentic Ringo-ish sound. He rarely tick tick ticked. He mostly washed over the hats or stomped the pedal.

What is the correct term for this technique/sound?

Where can I find such samples?

Thank you!!
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
I recently created a thread looking for half-open hat samples. Now, I'm looking for what I believe are called "Foot Hat" samples. I'm not a drummer . . . so I don't know the correct terminology. This is the sound made when a drummer stomps on the pedal to open and close the hat. There are no sticks involved. I'm trying to build a Zildjian 15" hat kit to recreate an authentic Ringo-ish sound. He rarely tick tick ticked. He mostly washed over the hats or stomped the pedal.

What is the correct term for this technique/sound?
I usually hear it called "splashing". "High-hat splashes".

I don't think "foot hat" is a real term. The cymbal stand which has two cymbals that are pressed together with a foot is called a "high-hat" or "hi-hat" - originally to distinguish it from a "low boy" which was popular in the first half of the 20th century. High-hats are more popular now, for one thing you can reach them with your sticks, but low boy stands are still made.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search