The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gate drums in the analog domain? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 30th January 2019
It's much more common to gate toms in the live context.
The major benefit is it removes several mics from the stage mix, when there is a lot of collateral noise (from monitors, guitar and bass cabs etc). And toms can rumble constantly in sympathy to the bass drum and snare hits, which just muddies the sound and becomes annoying.
A lot of live music actually has limited dynamics. I have played in bands that employ extreme dynamics however, from full on ear blasting to whisper quiet all in the same song.
I have had to take issue with a couple of FOH engineers if I can hear my bass drum or toms cutting out of the PA at lower volume playing.
You can't always tell, and usually not in the show, but at sound check you can hear the low end cut out as the drums bounce back from the theatre wall if the gate is too active on your toms.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
That's what I meant by "even then". Nobody will remember that the gate was too short on rack tom #2 in the opening drum fill.
Totally.

I had a friend in Chicago who owned a studio, but also mixed live for a couple of bands. I asked him why he still mixed live. He told me it was because mistakes over as soon as the happen. There's never stops, never confusion of what happened, never arguments over if or WHY another take is needed. Its a much more pure experience.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Totally.

I had a friend in Chicago who owned a studio, but also mixed live for a couple of bands. I asked him why he still mixed live. He told me it was because mistakes over as soon as the happen. There's never stops, never confusion of what happened, never arguments over if or WHY another take is needed. Its a much more pure experience.
That's how I treat most of my recording sessions: minimal overdubs, let's get it right in the room, if it's not happening, let's go for lunch/dinner or try another day.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Totally.

yeah but when you are engineering in your own studio, there's no roadying.

and the guitar player never asks you to get him a beer
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
yeah but when you are engineering in your own studio, there's no roadying.

and the guitar player never asks you to get him a beer
Yo!
Old 31st January 2019
Big difference between live and studio......
For everyone the live experience is immediate, then immediately gone.
In the studio you are taking a snapshot of a moment and it lives on forever.
That's why I personally advocate taking the time and effort to get things right in the studio. Because you have to live with it forever more.

Actually, the live scene has changed over the last ten years or more. I play a lot of shows. A lot of audience members are filming the show on smartphones, then uploading the footage to Youtube.
Live is becoming more like the studio. If it sounds bad, or your playing is riddled with mistakes, it's out there the next morning. For the whole world to see, not just the few hundred or few thousand who came to the show.
It really changes everything.
I don't want people to judge my drumming from a show in the boondocks somewhere, but that's exactly what is happening.
Old 4th February 2019
Just as a reference, a couple of years ago, I wanted to remix some 16-track tape transfers I did quite a few years earlier. The recordings were from around 1989 or so, and the toms were gated by a couple of Aphex 612s (very nice gates) before going to tape. Huge tom sound (Yamaha Recording Custom; 421s), but sadly, a few hits were missed by the gates, essentially ruining the takes, as the part relied heavily on the toms in certain sections. After listening, I decided not to remix, as it was too much work to fix at the time. That was the first and last time I gated toms before hitting tape (again, 1989 or so). Lesson learned. As decades past, I became less "reliant" on gates and rarely use them nowadays in post (DAW; haven't owned analog gates in forever).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search