The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tom heads: thinking of trying something different Studio Headphones
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear
tom heads: thinking of trying something different

I've played Ambassador coated on my toms (12x8, 16x16 Yamaha Stage Customs, birch/mahogany) for ages.

I tend to tune down a fair bit, but I like the toms to sing freely and would rather dampen or remove the bottom heads if I'm going for something different than have super dead/low tone/high attack "clicky" heads on.

They came with Evans EC2 clear heads and I think I won some old Remo pin stripes in an auction heap o' drum stuff that I didn't really care for.

Any recommendations?
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Guru

for a while recently, I was using Remo Renaissance heads on my toms. They are fairly warm and while they are not quite imitating a skin head, they have a bit of that quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
I've played Ambassador coated on my toms (12x8, 16x16 Yamaha Stage Customs, birch/mahogany) for ages.
I must admit, I liked the Renaissance - more than some other "experiments" but after about 6-8 months with the Remo Renaissance, I went back to coated Ambassadors! Back in the 80's, I used dot heads. I have used pinstripes, fiberskyn and hydraulic heads on toms. For a while there, I was swapping back and forth between fiberskyn and pinstripes depending on the gig. Even tried the Kevlar once.

But the coated Ambassadors are the first heads I ever used, and they just keep feeling like "coming home" to me.

Quote:
I won some old Remo pin stripes in an auction heap o' drum stuff that I didn't really care for.
I was going to suggest pinstripes. The old head part of it may be giving you a negative impression. Maybe you didn't care for them because someone else had already beaten the "good sound" out of them.... Maybe you a new pinstripe would sound good to you?
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
for a while recently, I was using Remo Renaissance heads on my toms. They are fairly warm and while they are not quite imitating a skin head, they have a bit of that quality.

I must admit, I liked the Renaissance - more than some other "experiments" but after about 6-8 months with the Remo Renaissance, I went back to coated Ambassadors! Back in the 80's, I used dot heads. I have used pinstripes, fiberskyn and hydraulic heads on toms. For a while there, I was swapping back and forth between fiberskyn and pinstripes depending on the gig. Even tried the Kevlar once.

But the coated Ambassadors are the first heads I ever used, and they just keep feeling like "coming home" to me.

I was going to suggest pinstripes. The old head part of it may be giving you a negative impression. Maybe you didn't care for them because someone else had already beaten the "good sound" out of them.... Maybe you a new pinstripe would sound good to you?
Old as in, NOS. Covered in dust, looked 80s vintage packaging, but maybe they lost some elasticity over time after sitting in cardboard for 30 odd years.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

I love the Remo vintage Emperor clear. They .5 mil thicker per ply than regular Emperor. Great for low or medium tuning .
Old 5th October 2018
I've been using Evans for years.
Recently I went back to Emperor batter and Ambassador bottom heads and I'm loving it.
I use Emperor coated top heads on kits that I want a warm, all purpose tone from.
I have put Emperor clear on a kit that I wanted to sound more contemporary, attacky.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I've been using Evans for years.
Recently I went back to Emperor batter and Ambassador bottom heads and I'm loving it.
I use Emperor coated top heads on kits that I want a warm, all purpose tone from.
I have put Emperor clear on a kit that I wanted to sound more contemporary, attacky.
I did the same thing several years ago. Going back to Remo heads was like a homecoming.
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Addict

I find fiberskin ambassadors to be great all around heads for toms especially in the medium and low ranges. Not so much on snare.

Just curious guys. Any quality control issues with Remo since moving back?

Last edited by mrmike186; 7th October 2018 at 02:02 PM..
Old 7th October 2018
Not for me.
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Guru

Me either.
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Addict

Me either but I've read of some grumblings in other forums. I'm going not through heads like pros do but to me while other heads sound good, Remo seems to have that something special.
Old 7th October 2018
I read grumblings about everything in life on every forum.
I stuck standard shop bought Emperor and Ambassador heads on two kits before a crucial recording session and they sounded great. Also no complaints from anyone else on the day.
Old 10th October 2018
If you're going to record and don't care so much about longevity, Ambassadors are a little more open sounding, but they wear out pretty quick. Emperors are 98% there and last longer, they're also a little easier to tune.

I never left (Remo).
Old 10th October 2018
For the record, I was happy with Evans, just fancied a change.
The emperor/ambassador combo gives a classic sound.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
For the record, I was happy with Evans, just fancied a change.
The emperor/ambassador combo gives a classic sound.
So Ambassador coated (batter) heads on the bottom?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

I will probably be using Evans Hydraulic heads for the rest of my life. Evans Heavyweight on the snare.
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Guru

I'm thinking of trying the Remo suede, or possibly the Remo/DW heads with the ring or coating for my next round. My drums did sound good with Pinstripes, but its been forever since I've had them on.

I love changing the tops to something different. I went YEARS with never putting the same heads on twice in a row.
Old 21st December 2018
Quote:
So Ambassador coated (batter) heads on the bottom?
Yes, or clear.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Nut
Get a better kit, those heads are fine.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Three View Post
Get a better kit, those heads are fine.
Don't be ridiculous. Stage Customs are good sounding drums, and a good amount of sounds can be produced with different heads and tunings.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Nut
Sure they sound good, just not the sound your looking for...from your post anyway.
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Three View Post
Sure they sound good, just not the sound your looking for...from your post anyway.
Classic gearslutz: tell the OP what you want to hear, not what he’s asking.

I’m just looking for something different. I have a beautiful set of late 60s keystone Ludwig jazz customs, an early 70s African mahogany Premiers too, but with this heavy group I’m playing with, I need something that’ll keep up with loud guitars.

And the Yamahas are extremely well built and round, with great bearing edges; the hardware they came with is engineered to perfection, like DW precise without the cost... but you know they’re Yamaha, so not cool and edgy with the kids.

I think I may try Emperor coated on top and ambassador coated on the bottom.
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Classic gearslutz: tell the OP what you want to hear, not what he’s asking.

I’m just looking for something different. I have a beautiful set of late 60s keystone Ludwig jazz customs, an early 70s African mahogany Premiers too, but with this heavy group I’m playing with, I need something that’ll keep up with loud guitars.

And the Yamahas are extremely well built and round, with great bearing edges; the hardware they came with is engineered to perfection, like DW precise without the cost... but you know they’re Yamaha, so not cool and edgy with the kids.

I think I may try Emperor coated on top and ambassador coated on the bottom.
Please report back, especially if you put coated heads on the bottom. I'm intrigued by that. I've always had clear heads on the bottoms.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Please report back, especially if you put coated heads on the bottom. I'm intrigued by that. I've always had clear heads on the bottoms.
I've been doing this for several years in the studio with my Ludwig classic maple kit - vintage coated emperors on the top and vintage coated ambassadors on the bottom. It really brings out the sound of the shell and the wood much better than a coated top/clear bottom combination. I genuinely couldn't believe the difference.

Cheers,
Mark.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 View Post
I've been doing this for several years in the studio with my Ludwig classic maple kit - vintage coated emperors on the top and vintage coated ambassadors on the bottom. It really brings out the sound of the shell and the wood much better than a coated top/clear bottom combination. I genuinely couldn't believe the difference.

Cheers,
Mark.
Thanks, man. It seems counterintuitive to me to use a coated head on the bottom, but I'm sure that's in my head. I should just commit sometime, just to hear it.
Old 10th January 2019
Until the 80's just about everyone had coated Ambassadors on the bottom head - unless they had no bottom head at all.
Some absolutely outstanding drum sounds in the 70's - like Pink Floyd, Supertramp Steely Dan etc....
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Until the 80's just about everyone had coated Ambassadors on the bottom head - unless they had no bottom head at all.
Some absolutely outstanding drum sounds in the 70's - like Pink Floyd, Supertramp Steely Dan etc....
Not to mention Roger Taylor as well Chris
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 View Post
Not to mention Roger Taylor as well Chris
I did not realize that.
Old 12th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
It’s glorious. The 12” rack sings now, so much so that I’m not even using a mic on it.

16” floor too, almost too much so in my room, so I stuffed some cottage balls through the air hole and used another moon gel.
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Guru

I have cotton balls in both of my floor toms right now. I even have a make-shift gate muffler on the 14" and its still got nice sustain. I do think I'll try the coated bottoms sometime soon. With suede tops, I think
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s glorious. The 12” rack sings now, so much so that I’m not even using a mic on it.

16” floor too, almost too much so in my room, so I stuffed some cottage balls through the air hole and used another moon gel.

Interesting. I have a spare toms set of coated ambassadors I could try on the bottom. Thx for the feedback on this!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search