The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Electronic Drum Kit Should I Buy? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd June 2018
Here for the gear

Which Electronic Drum Kit Should I Buy?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of beginning my new album, which I'm "one-man banding". I tend to write a lot of pop/rock, and traditionally have used my keyboard to record drums, using Superior Drummer. This has been fine, but it's becoming increasingly time consuming to tweak velocities to get within the ballpark of the feel of a real drummer. Because of that, I've considered purchasing an electronic drum kit.

Since I have SD3, and some rudimentary drumming abilities, I'd likely just use this as a MIDI controller. After going to some music stores and playing around with some of the kits, I really liked the Roland TD-17, specifically the mesh heads. However, while the price tag isn't completely out of reach ($1,599), a few questions spring to mind:

1. While the TD-17 is nice, does it make sense to spring this much money for what's essentially going to be a MIDI controller? Are there more sensible options out there?
2. Will an electronic drum kit actually provide the increase in efficiency I'm looking for? Or is it just merely another way of doing it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Buy the best Roland you can afford.

You’ll find that once you get your kit sensitivity dialed in and settle in to the feel of playing mesh heads you’ll be able to get a fully realistic sounding performance using SD.
Old 4th June 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Buy the best Roland you can afford.

You’ll find that once you get your kit sensitivity dialed in and settle in to the feel of playing mesh heads you’ll be able to get a fully realistic sounding performance using SD.
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but they do get pricey. Has anyone had experience with the Alesis Strike Pro? I personally have the Roland TD-25kv with some upgrades.
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Nut

You can spend just as much time editing e-drum tracks. The solution that works best for me is the Logic Drummer and/or “playing” drums on an iPad.
Old 4th June 2018
Lives for gear

doni't hesitate with a used Roland. I bought a TD 9 used, TD11 used and a larger kit - not sure which for 3 different church situations. They all have performed great. Just be sure you get the cloth heads. If you have that and the brain, the rest is just accessories that can be upgraded.
Old 4th June 2018
Deleted User
Im using a Roland TD8 here, rubber gummy pads, gets it done. SD3 too
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Has anyone invested in a Roland TD-17KVX yet for studio work? Am thinking of picking one up and using alongside slate/superior. Onboard sounds don't blow me away but do you all tend to track with the onboard sounds sending midi notes then replace with vst after performance to avoid latency etc?
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear

Using a Mac mini 2011 i7, 8gig RAM, SSD for OS, 002r interface. PT10 with SD2.

I use a TD10 with 8” mesh heads I’ve had for 18 years. Holds up still the but I’m at the point where I need to replace the foam cones inside the mesh heads. They dry out after a decade or so.
With PT set to 128 samples latency, I have no issues triggering SD2 directly when tracking.
I mult SD2 out to aux’s, K, S, HH, TT’s, OH’s and Room and then bounce to multitrack Audio once i’m happy with the drum mix.
TD10 has the worst sounds. Even back in 2000 when I bought it it sounded so dated. They should just make a brain that converts triggers to midi and leave it at that!
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear
Yeah, I just got my TD-17KVX all set up last night. It triggers anything in Superior Drummer 3.0 with ZERO latency. I haven't recorded yet with them in my DAW (Reaper) yet though.
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

If I was starting from scratch, I'd get a td17 kvx kit, sell the module, and replace it with a td12 brain...sell the snare (or use as a 4th Tom) and replace with a Pd125...now you have positional sensing, which makes a big difference,...also midi in for expansion.
I'd have done this if I wasn't already halfway done building the kit
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedman View Post
If I was starting from scratch, I'd get a td17 kvx kit, sell the module, and replace it with a td12 brain...sell the snare (or use as a 4th Tom) and replace with a Pd125...now you have positional sensing, which makes a big difference,...also midi in for expansion.
I'd have done this if I wasn't already halfway done building the kit
Hello. Just wondering what you mean by, "also midi in for expansion."

Expansion of what and how? Thanks.
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Since the td-12 has a midi in port, you can chain another module through it and have more pads
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search