The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Superior Drummer 3 Upgrade Ending for owners of SD2 WTF!!!!
Old 5th May 2018
  #1
Gear Nut
 
freezerman's Avatar
 

Superior Drummer 3 Upgrade Ending for owners of SD2 WTF!!!!

Email from Toontrack
-------------------------------
END-OF-SALE ANNOUNCEMENT.
Attention all owners of Superior Drummer 2: The Superior Drummer 3 Upgrade will be discontinued on December 31, 2018. Don’t miss taking advantage of the heavily discounted upgrade pricing. Upgrade today!
UPGRADE NOW

WHY NOW? WHY UPGRADE?
The Superior Drummer 3 Upgrade will be discontinued since Superior Drummer 2 no longer is supported, updated or available for purchase (which in effect means it will become obsolete and cease to work on numerous platforms at some point in time).
-------------------------------

This a ****e move by Toontrack and stinks of a money grab and literally nothing else.

There should always be an upgrade path between versions. I own all Steinberg products from Nuendo down. If they tried something like this I'd sell it all and migrate to another providers eco system. Whoever made this decision seems to have a lack of understanding how users feel about being strong armed into an upgrade before they are ready, solely because the company concerned, 'Toontrack', is ripping the carpet out from under them. Disgraceful!!

The excuse they used in the 'why now' part has no foundation at all. Cubase, Nuendo , Wavelab and other DAWs, plugins etc have all had upgrades to new version over the years and there has always been an upgrade path. Why do they go and soil the waters with this tacky move. I can only think that they must have money troubles.
Old 5th May 2018
  #2
Gear Nut
 

That IS garbage. I just upgraded already, but there's absolutely no reason to discontinue the upgrade pricing. Hell, I'm 3 or 4 versions behind on NI Komplete, and I still have a discounted upgrade option for the newest package years and years later. Support the people that supported you, or there won't be a Superior 4.

As it is, I feel like with the new upgrade they have an absolutely FANTASTIC product, but as I look through youtube, their forum, and the promotion and discussions in general and they've really under-promoted it and it doesn't seem hugely adopted. Very little user created content out there for tutorials, demos, and tips.
Old 6th May 2018
  #3
Gear Nut
 
freezerman's Avatar
 

Taking what you've said into consideration, that may mean that under promotion has likely meant less sales. It appears their 'backup/oh [email protected]£K no!!' plan is to strong arm SD2 users into an 'upgrade or else' policy. Someones done some numbers at Toontrack, looked at the user base and calculated how much money they might make this year if they force the SD2 user base to upgrade for fear of higher costs later on.

Message to Toontrack. All these years I've been using your products, I've trusted you for quality, fairness and everything that I deem good from a developer.

Roll this completely inconsiderate policy back and play fair like the majority of pro devs out there. No one's buying that totally crap excuse you've given. SHAME ON YOU and fire that arse who's talking you into signing off these backward policy decisions.
Old 10th September 2018
  #4
Gear Head
 
DUBTEMPLE's Avatar
 

Just got a "black-mail" from them also, they absolutely stinks, I gave them far to much of my money, and my trust, for what it is,..

Angaged with them by glueing me to their platform, with superior, and far to many overpriced libs, (even when they was achieved on deals),..

Now they reward me by pushing me in a dead-end, and trying to rob me,..

This is the worst example I have seen in 20-30 years ,.. and I have seen a lot
Old 10th September 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Yes this SUCKS!!! big time...
Old 30th December 2018
  #6
Here for the gear
Pathetic Money Grab Bye Toontrack

I just can't believe this, what an utter greedy thing to do to paying customers and right during the holidays. I have absolutely no issues with the upgrade price but to force people to upgrade at full price is greedy.

At toontrack - Greed > Customers

I have a lot of money put into the platform and own many of the SDK/EZX's. I will finish up the projects I have using superior and continue to use Steven Slate in the future. Steven Slate sounds superior anyway and yes pun intended.

Toontrack's new offerings have all been a bust, do you know anyone that uses EZ keys? I wish someone with some client success strategies would acquire toontrack, clearly the management are not up to the task and are lacking in very basic business skills.
Old 30th December 2018
  #7
Jam
Lives for gear
 
Jam's Avatar
 

Wholeheartedly agree with all of the above, it's a shameless cash grab from existing customers, I go back as far as the original DFH library.

I've decided not to upgrade and spend my drum sample library money elsewhere in future. It's not like Toontrack are the only game in town these days.
Old 14th March 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
I am not happy with what they have done either. Right now there is a special crossgrade price available for EZDrummer 2 owners but there is no special upgrade price available for Superior Drummer 2 owners. Does that make sense to anyone? I paid more for Superior Drummer 2 and no upgrade price?

I realize that there was an upgrade price, but why make it a time limited offer? I can go to my Steinberg account and they have upgrade prices available to people who are many versions behind the most recent version of Cubase for example.

Leaves a bad taste, that's for use. Going to go check out Steven Slate drums now.
Old 14th March 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
 
freezerman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
I am not happy with what they have done either. Right now there is a special crossgrade price available for EZDrummer 2 owners but there is no special upgrade price available for Superior Drummer 2 owners. Does that make sense to anyone? I paid more for Superior Drummer 2 and no upgrade price?

I realize that there was an upgrade price, but why make it a time limited offer? I can go to my Steinberg account and they have upgrade prices available to people who are many versions behind the most recent version of Cubase for example.

Leaves a bad taste, that's for use. Going to go check out Steven Slate drums now.
Spot on! My original post was not about an upgrade price, considering the quality of this tool, it's a no brainer. What wrenched my gut was the 'time limited offer'

From a customers perspective, there is no reason or need for it. They'd of had my money anyway. As developers, I trust their tech.

What they showed in this move was contempt. Buy it by x date or we'll screw you for more money after x date. That is literally what they proposed to existing and loyal customers.

Someone at Toontrack should reverse that policy, slap the idiot who came up with it and apologise to the community, promising never to do it again.
Old 14th March 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman View Post
Spot on! My original post was not about an upgrade price, considering the quality of this tool, it's a no brainer. What wrenched my gut was the 'time limited offer'

From a customers perspective, there is no reason or need for it. They'd of had my money anyway. As developers, I trust their tech.

What they showed in this move was contempt. Buy it by x date or we'll screw you for more money after x date. That is literally what they proposed to existing and loyal customers.

Someone at Toontrack should reverse that policy, slap the idiot who came up with it and apologise to the community, promising never to do it again.
I sent them an email recently but they said that due to how they set things up originally for sales, it cannot be changed. I felt like saying, "So some guy came up with a bad idea, and now it cannot be reversed?" Anyhow, it is frustrating. I want the software but now I am looking at the alternatives. They want $558 CDN for it. aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!
Old 15th March 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
 
freezerman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
I sent them an email recently but they said that due to how they set things up originally for sales, it cannot be changed. I felt like saying, "So some guy came up with a bad idea, and now it cannot be reversed?" Anyhow, it is frustrating. I want the software but now I am looking at the alternatives. They want $558 CDN for it. aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!
As someone who is working with devs to make audio plugs for my own and limited shared use, that is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a while. I'm sure you just got some low level marketing person who thought they'd slam dunked you with what they assumed was a clever response.

Can you imagine the tech it took to develop Superior Drummer 3. An absolutely amazing product. Updating the rules logic around a sales promotion and licensing policy on a website would be like a very brief walk in the park by comparison.

I had no hesitation getting the update, I use it regularly and the new features were of instant use to me commercially. But I do a lot of mix support work for indie artists who have serious talent but low budgets. Lots of them have to manage those budgets carefully and were users of Superior Drummer. Plenty could not afford to update at the time and now most won't. They're already supplementing with other drum vsti's. We're all good at that, finding ways to do the same thing when the old option is no longer valid.
Old 15th March 2019
  #12
Gear Head
 
DUBTEMPLE's Avatar
 

Probabbly best "drum-tool" available

But a very strange and mean behaviour towards customers, there is absolutely no reason and argument to give old cutomers the choice of being robbed or left back,..

I have never seen it elsewhere, and I have been around 20+ years using LOTS of software

Guess there hole culture an appearance is shady in the first place, especially one of the two founders appear like some kinda satanist in the few YT-videos I have seen, how comes anyone could get the idea consolidating the market segment with a titel such as "drumkit from hell",... maybe we should not be surprised that "upgrade from hell" was the continuation ?

Anyway, since no moral, etics, og just normal decent customer care present I guess it all dealing with buttom-line alone

So where did this manoeuvre take them ?

Did they push away their userbase by this step ? or did they progress ?
Old 16th March 2019
  #13
Gear Nut
 
freezerman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBTEMPLE View Post
Probabbly best "drum-tool" available

But a very strange and mean behaviour towards customers, there is absolutely no reason and argument to give old cutomers the choice of being robbed or left back,..

I have never seen it elsewhere, and I have been around 20+ years using LOTS of software

Guess there hole culture an appearance is shady in the first place, especially one of the two founders appear like some kinda satanist in the few YT-videos I have seen, how comes anyone could get the idea consolidating the market segment with a titel such as "drumkit from hell",... maybe we should not be surprised that "upgrade from hell" was the continuation ?

Anyway, since no moral, etics, og just normal decent customer care present I guess it all dealing with buttom-line alone

So where did this manoeuvre take them ?

Did they push away their userbase by this step ? or did they progress ?
Flaming an individual based on looks is outright WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

My complaint is about the upgrade policy.

To be clear, ALL my comments are about policy alone in regard to the upgrade. I love Toontrack products and wholly support the team. I'll for sure keep buying their products. It takes something special to keep a company going 20 years and I hope they'll be around for 20 more.
Old 16th May 2019
  #14
Here for the gear
Nope - dead link.
Old 16th May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileoslastdays View Post
Nope - dead link.
I'm not surprised since I posted that link over a month ago. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I will remove the post.
Old 17th May 2019
  #16
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
I'm not surprised since I posted that link over a month ago. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I will remove the post.
It's fine, but I'm super irritated that TT pulled this crap. Major middle finger to the customers.
Old 18th May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileoslastdays View Post
It's fine, but I'm super irritated that TT pulled this crap. Major middle finger to the customers.
Yes, I agree that they have taken the wrong approach. Steinberg for example has upgrade prices available all the time.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump