The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DW Black Nickel Over Brass 8x14 vs Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14 Tube Lug
Old 2nd May 2018
Here for the gear

DW Black Nickel Over Brass 8x14 vs Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14 Tube Lug

I am currently in the market for a black nickel over brass snare drum after playing 6.5x14 black beauty at a gig where I forgot my snare (shame shame, I know). I was ready to buy one when I recently came across the DW BNOB Collector’s which eventually led me to the 8x14 sized one (looking for a big punchy sound with plenty of crack. The DW is much cheaper and I am wondering if I would regret not buying the black beauty but saving almost $200. Please advise...
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Head
Hi TSP!

Firstly, I have never played or heard the DW so I can't give you any advice on that but I do own and play a Black Beauty Hammered 14x6,5 and I can tell you that you can't go wrong with it. It have never failed during live gigs or in the studio. It's a classic for a reason. I've played many great snares throughout the years and if I'm not mistaken, the BB is not just another black nickel over brass snare but is manufactured in a special way that is unique to Ludwig and thus gives the drum it's own sonic imprint. Since the snare drum is very much the center of your drum sound, I wouldn't cut any corners there. Then again, it's always a matter of personal preference.

(BTW, I've played drums live and in studio for some 35 years [many of those full time] and am recording and producing more during recent years.)

Good luck! / Antti
Old 3rd May 2018
Here for the gear

I have been coming to find that you get what you pay for these days, especially when it comes to musical instruments. I wish I could have them side by side and try them out but I think that could only happen if I bought both of them- ha!

Still looking for more info on the DW BNOB...

I watched a video of the Ludwig vs the DW but they clearly were tuned differently. Made me not trust it and it’s the only video I can find.
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Guru

The 8" depth thing is odd. I've got a 8" Birch Tama here and the snare reaction is not what most of us expect. It feels "sluggish" in response. In a metal drum, that might not be an issue, but I would keep it in mind. Try to play an 8" and see how it suits you.
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Nut
I've played both and bought the Black Beauty for several reasons. The DW has a welded seem, where the Ludwig doesn't. the Black Beauty is the industry standard, where the DW is a, "Me too" drum. You get what you pay for in this case. When it comes time to sell, the BB will get top dollar. in either choice you make, please buy a premium case to keep it safe.
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

I played an 8inch chrome over steel dw collectors the other week coincidentally at a guitar center and I liked the depth and the rounded sound. I will say that it did lack some crack and response for sure. I’m watching videos (hard to make assumptions from them) and I have concluded whatever I get, it’s going to have tube lugs. They seem to let the drum sing more. I think I’m going to go with the black beauty in the end. Seems like the right choice.

Thank you guys.
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSpeakDrummer View Post
I played an 8inch chrome over steel dw collectors the other week coincidentally at a guitar center and I liked the depth and the rounded sound. I will say that it did lack some crack and response for sure. I’m watching videos (hard to make assumptions from them) and I have concluded whatever I get, it’s going to have tube lugs. They seem to let the drum sing more. I think I’m going to go with the black beauty in the end. Seems like the right choice.

Thank you guys.
Less mass on the shell is generally a good thing.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSpeakDrummer View Post

Thank you guys.
I don't think you'll regret going with the Black Beauty. It's a classic for a reason. Happy drumming!
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Ludwig also makes a 14x8 Black Beauty. DW would be very low on my list of snares and Ludwig at the top.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a DW Collectors 8x14 Brass and chose it over the Ludwig. Yes the BB has a spun shell vs the DW is welded, however if someone can really point out the difference from just that, good on you. I have just never liked the hardware on the Ludwig, especially the strainer. The DW is just a cut above in the hardware. The true hoops, tuning rods and throw off are, imho just better and they play a part in the final sound. The sound differences between the two - one is not better than the other. I like and bought the DW, and I love it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson96 View Post
I have a DW Collectors 8x14 Brass and chose it over the Ludwig. Yes the BB has a spun shell vs the DW is welded, however if someone can really point out the difference from just that, good on you. I have just never liked the hardware on the Ludwig, especially the strainer. The DW is just a cut above in the hardware. The true hoops, tuning rods and throw off are, imho just better and they play a part in the final sound. The sound differences between the two - one is not better than the other. I like and bought the DW, and I love it.
Definitely some of the best hardware, is why its so sad they went cheap on the shell. I upgrade all my ludwigs with P33 & P86 throw offs. I have a few DW's, Concrete and super solid. very nice drums. but, the ludwigs get more use in recording. fight it all ya want but, DW metal shells are made as cheap as possible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search