The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can snare wire tension ever be too tight ?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Can snare wire tension ever be too tight ?

I've been noticing when I flip up the strainer on my snare to tighten the wires that there is a crackling sound occurring. Should I loosen the tension or is it something else? I haven't notice this ever happening on my more expensive snare. The snare in question was newly bought four months ago. The set is out in the garage, so there has been some temperature change recently as well.
Old 26th November 2017
Try googling:
How to tune a snare drum

You’ll find lots of very useful information, like this article:

14 simple steps to tuning your snare drum | MusicRadar
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I've been noticing when I flip up the strainer on my snare to tighten the wires that there is a crackling sound occurring. Should I loosen the tension or is it something else? I haven't notice this ever happening on my more expensive snare. The snare in question was newly bought four months ago. The set is out in the garage, so there has been some temperature change recently as well.
You'll know its too tight when it starts choking the sound of the drum.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Try de-tuning the two lugs on the bottom head closest to the snare strap on both sides a half turn. If you have triple-flanged hoops this will push the bottom snare head out a bit and you won't have to tighten the snares as much. Sounds better too because you're not choking the drum.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Guru

You absolutely can overtighten the strainer.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear
All good advice here, I can't add anything new. The snares need to move freely. I set my strainer to "just above rattle"
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you all ! I'm going to dive in to it this week. It's a Tama Cocktail kit, so I wasn't sure if it was just fragile or me. After all your informative help, it is more than likely me.

Gearslutz > Google
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Tuning drums is black art if you don't own a TuneBot. TuneBot makes it easy to tune drums repeatedly. Their web site is filled with useful information too.

Don't be afraid of your snare wires, adjust them.

I switched my Anton Fig Yamaha signature snare to PureSound snare wire and that really helped in the studio (my kit never leaves the studio). I'm using the PureSound 12-strand 14-inch and it really cuts down on sympathetic rattle from the toms but still sounds fantastic on recordings. We've recorded rock, acoustic folk, metal and reggae with our DW kit and all the players love it.

Good luck and good music to you.
Old 27th November 2017
Puresound wires are the bees knees. I got a set of equalizers(think that's what they are called) with the gap in the wires recently. Holy cow. They really do bring out the shell sound.
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone. This is great to know because I had sympathetic rattling of my snare when striking the toms and had to tune my snare really high to get rid of it. But that gives me zero leeway to tune them down.

I’ll need to replace that snare at some point so I’ll try those PureSound wires when I do.

Robert Ash
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Tune your snare to where it sounds best. If a tom sets it off a bit it’s not the end of the world. But you can always tune the tome up or down a bit. But the snare tuning takes priority!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search