The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ringo explains "Ringo swing"
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Ringo explains "Ringo swing"

Ringo talks about his unique style in this clip with Dave Stewart:

Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

He's just a great humble guy with such a generous spirit that surely factors into the equation of what makes him such a wonderful and successful musician. The natural adjustments he makes being left handed only really adds to his uniqueness and without a doubt, his enormous likability. Thank you so much for posting this , really enjoyed watching it
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

You're welcome Gene.

Here's the full doco:

Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

I love that clip. I've seen it several times, but it always makes me smile.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
He looks astonishingly good for his age. Wow. Could pass for late 40s.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

I watched the whole show on YouTube about a week ago. Its all great.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks. Only one word for that clip......FAB
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

It's interesting that Ringo tended to play behind the beat.

I suspect Charlie Watts does also.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
It's interesting that Ringo tended to play behind the beat.

I suspect Charlie Watts does also.
I've been experimenting trying to program VI drums to emulate the Ringo swing, in addition to tom rolls beginning on the floor tom ( which I love personally), nudging the whole thing right about 15-21ms does add a certain authentic quality to my indulgent experiement . Fills and turnarounds seem to be either right on time or just a squizz ahead of the beat. I'll observe his behaviour when he's singing and see if I notice any break in his routine, sometimes nervous energy can add that hard to describe magic a musician demonstrates.
As for Charlie Watts, I always thought he was the only Stone capable [consistently] of playing in time...silly me

Last edited by GeneHall; 22nd January 2017 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: consistently: inclusion
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not sure about Charlie playing behind the beat Gene, it's just a hunch I've had for years.

I think that Ringo and Charlie are sublime "song" drummers.
Old 5th February 2017
Still waiting for the post that says Ringo can't play. Never ceases to amaze me how so many drummers just don't get it. The funny thing is, ask any of these "supremely technical" drummers to play how Ringo plays and they won't or can't do it, even though many would claim it's easy. Nevermind the fact they would never have the formula to sell anywhere near as many records in a million years.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
I'm not sure about Charlie playing behind the beat Gene, it's just a hunch I've had for years.

I think that Ringo and Charlie are sublime "song" drummers.
I don't know if this is factual, but I have read that Charlie Watts followed Keith Richards for tempo, and Bill Wyman followed Charlie. This supposedly results in that wonderful, inimitable Stones slop.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search