The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help deciding on cymbals for new set....
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Need help deciding on cymbals for new set....

Well I should hopefully have my Ludwig "zep kit" next week from GC. I am really having a tough time deciding on cymbals though. Part of me wants to replicate Bonham's cymbals with the Paiste 2002 series. Of course the other part of me doesn't want to through down $1000 even on Ebay for the set. I have looked at other brands but only the Sabian's seem to interest me. I like the looks of the AAX or HHX line but don't know if they would be a good fit. I have seem some great cymbal packs for both Sabian models (AAX and HHX) and they are about half the price of the Paiste ones. Let me first state that I want to do this right. I am definitely a patient person and if the more expensive cymbals are the way to go, I will save up and go that route. I just need some advice or guidance on which way to go. This will be my first new drumset in a decade (just sold my old pearl export that I had growing up) and I am basically starting from scratch......I haven't even purchased the hardware yet. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 4th February 2007
I just bought the A Custom pack. They sit in the mix really nice when I track.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW, I had an old 2002 when they first came out. It was a 16" crash, although I'm sure Bonham must have used 18"s. Anyway it was my favorite cymbal and I played it till death did us part.
If you have already started replicating his kit, don't stop there. Go for the Paiste!
You almost always get what you pay for. Almost.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

No question, no hesitation, no alternative: You must have Paiste 2002s with that kit. I didn't copy Bonham's choices exactly, but came close - I got 19" and 20" 2002 Crashes, a 24" 2002 ride and 15" Sound Edge 2002 Hi Hats. Then I realized I was playing my favorite cymbals ever (I was always a Zildjian guy before) so I added 17" and 18" 2002 crashes. Slutty, yes.

It's expensive, but worth it. And you don't have to get them all at once, but get 2002s. If you want to go early Bonham, you can get the newer Giant Beat reissues, but I like the 2002s (can you tell?). Paistes are very consistent - If your local shop doesn't have the sizes you want, you can special order with confidence and without hearing them first= no problem, and I would not say that about any other cymbal. Get 50% off list, or go somewhere else.

Have Fun.
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
No question, no hesitation, no alternative: You must have Paiste 2002s with that kit. I didn't copy Bonham's choices exactly, but came close - I got 19" and 20" 2002 Crashes, a 24" 2002 ride and 15" Sound Edge 2002 Hi Hats. Then I realized I was playing my favorite cymbals ever (I was always a Zildjian guy before) so I added 17" and 18" 2002 crashes. Slutty, yes.

It's expensive, but worth it. And you don't have to get them all at once, but get 2002s. If you want to go early Bonham, you can get the newer Giant Beat reissues, but I like the 2002s (can you tell?). Paistes are very consistent - If your local shop doesn't have the sizes you want, you can special order with confidence and without hearing them first= no problem, and I would not say that about any other cymbal. Get 50% off list, or go somewhere else.

Have Fun.

I noticed I can save some money on Ebay and definitely get them for way less than say GC. In the back of my mind I want to replicate his setup pretty close. I like different heads than what he used but if I already have the kit, I guess I might as well finish off with the cymbals...
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
I noticed I can save some money on Ebay and definitely get them for way less than say GC. In the back of my mind I want to replicate his setup pretty close. I like different heads than what he used but if I already have the kit, I guess I might as well finish off with the cymbals...
Or try a big drum store that ships anywhere, like Atlanta Pro Percussion: 1-800-USA-DRUM and http://www.atlantapropercussion.com/...log-world.html

Definitely no black dot or silver dot heads like what come with the kit. I switched out to Coated Remo Emperor batters and coated Remo Emperor or Ambassador Resonant heads. And a Remo PS3 on the kick with logo head on front.

I bought the more expensive Ludwig Classic Maples 14-16-18 toms, 16x26 kick and 8x14 matching maple snare in 2000 (doesn't feel like 7 years ago, damn...) but you are getting a hell of a bargain with your kit, and can approach the heads and cymbals the same way if you're into it.

Hold out for what you really want - you'll be happier long run, and you only have to buy once.
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
Or try a big drum store that ships anywhere, like Atlanta Pro Percussion: 1-800-USA-DRUM and http://www.atlantapropercussion.com/...log-world.html

Definitely no black dot or silver dot heads like what come with the kit. I switched out to Coated Remo Emperor batters and coated Remo Emperor or Ambassador Resonant heads. And a Remo PS3 on the kick with logo head on front.

I bought the more expensive Ludwig Classic Maples 14-16-18 toms, 16x26 kick and 8x14 matching maple snare in 2000 (doesn't feel like 7 years ago, damn...) but you are getting a hell of a bargain with your kit, and can approach the heads and cymbals the same way if you're into it.

Hold out for what you really want - you'll be happier long run, and you only have to buy once.

I know the kit comes with stock clear Evans heads which is a plus. I might play on those for awhile and then upgrade to some better ones. Your last sentence is EXACTLY why I am trying to get what I truly want now. I know I will probably regret it down the line if I cave now............man this is getting expensive....heh
Old 4th February 2007

check out Johans work (in the sticky at the top of this forum)

The best cymbals I have ever played, bar NONE!
Old 5th February 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

I blindly ordered a 15" set of 2002 sound edge hats and a 24" 2002 ride and am pretty happy thus far.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Please for your sake don't EVER buy ANY gear for looks. Especially not cymbals. Also NEVER buy Sabian crash cymbals.

When looking for cymbals, you must think of the kit. The big toms on a "Bonham style" kit are going to be loud, so you're going to need some big sounding cymbals, I'd say nothing smaller than 16 in.

Personally, I like Zildjian, and like one poster said, the A customs sit nicely in a mix, however you may find them to be too bright for such a big set. Paiste cymbals are usually VERY bright and I can't see them sounding all that good with a 24 in. kick and huge toms.

Here are my humble suggestions.

Hihats- 13 in. K/Z - very loud and crunchy
14 in. or 15 in. new beat (preferably from 60s or 70s- classic sound
14 in. A mastersound- for a crisper version of the previous two
14 in. Z custom mastersound for loud and bright

Crashes- 20 in. A custom Projection - see Abe Cunningham
20 in. Sabian Vault- the one exception to my Sabian rule
18 in. A custom- the smallest of the A custom's I'd recc. for your set
18 in. A series crashes- all different. Ugly(looking) but dry sounding
17 in. A custom projection crash- loud and bright
16 in. - something. Your set will need at least one of these but
there are too many good ones to name

Rides- 21 in. Sweet ride- weird but very cool
20 in A custom projection ride- loud and bright
* 20 in. A series rock ride or ping ride- probably what you want
20 in. K custom Dry ride- my fav., but mybe not enough
overtones for you?????
18 in. K custom Dark ride- Awesome but maybe not loud enough.

Please don't be fooled by a cymbals "hype" or what works for someone else. For all I know all of my suggestions could sound like crap with your set (although I doubt it). It's all about personal preference.

Also don't be fooled by going to a music store and hitting cymbals hanging side by side in a small room filled with other cymbals. I've made the mistake of buying a cymbal that sounded good by itself, but lousy on a set. Don't buy ANYTHING until you've played it simultaneously with a bass drum and YOUR snare drum. It's the only way to be sure.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Blindside;1113668]Paiste cymbals are usually VERY bright and I can't see them sounding all that good with a 24 in. kick and huge toms.
QUOTE]

He's looking for cymbals to go with his "Zep" kit, like the one John Bonham played, with a 26" kick & huge toms (14-16-18" for Bonham, a 13" on this kit). Bonham played Paiste cymbals always, so, yeah, I'd say they sound good with that kit. (I always liked that sound, and now I get to hear it every day.) Are you thinking that big drums necessitate dark, warm cymbals? Just curious...
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

yeah dont buy on look alone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search