The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to change my recording custom kit
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Looking to change my recording custom kit

I have an RC9000 from 1995 in the following specs;

10", 12", 13", 14" deep toms and 22"/18" kick.

I love its sound but am looking for less sustain, more attack and more focused sound.
I was told to get shorter toms instead, which I will do, but hesitate between staying with Yamaha (recording custom or birch custom) or going for Premier Artist serie.
What do you reckon?
Old 3rd February 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
I love its sound but am looking for less sustain, more attack and more focused sound... going for Premier Artist serie.
Well the 1st question that comes to mind is have you done alot of drum head experimentation? The RCs I've heard have been controlled and focused sounding with pinstripes or emperors. I don't think of RCs as being ringy and full of overtones, but I haven't heard a modern one.

Every Premier kit I've heard has the sound you described, and I think that's what the Premier sound is like. The decay on Premier has always sounded short and tight to me. Compare it to your Yamahas if you can.

If you have a good drumshop close enough, it's worth spending half a day in there trying out all the kits. I suggest bringing one of your toms for reference. This will provide a barometer from which you can draw the conclusion you need.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Well the 1st question that comes to mind is have you done alot of drum head experimentation? The RCs I've heard have been controlled and focused sounding with pinstripes or emperors.

I don't think of RCs as being ringy and full of overtones, but I haven't heard a modern one.

Every Premier kit I've heard has the sound you described, and I think that's what the Premier sound is like. The decay on Premier has always sounded short and tight to me. Compare it to your Yamahas if you can.

If you have a good drumshop close enough, it's worth spending half a daray in there trying out all the kits. I suggest bringing one of your toms for reference. This will provide a barometer from which you can draw the conclusion you need.
Thanks for your response,
yes the sound was focused with Pinstripes, I now have Aquarian coated and I used to have clear emperor but I prefer white coated style heads.
I'm looking for a vintage deep a warm sound (maybe Ludwig?).
My kit has deep toms (don't know what size exactly) and I think that's the main reason why it's less focused, more ringey and more difficult to tune.

I may just sell my toms and buy the same ones in the short version, or sell the whole kit and buy a Premier.
I also wonder how a maple kit compares with the birch sound..

I'll go to the drum store and try out the kits if they have them.
Old 4th February 2007
I don't think tom depth is as critical as head choice and tuning.
I also think the old Yamaha RC's are a very versatile sounding kit.
You mentioned Ludwig and the sound you are looking for would be pure Ludwig I think.
Almost all contemporary drums sound contemporary to me. If you are looking for fat, round and warm I would suggest buying a second hand vintage kit.
Think carefully before ditching the Yamaha's though. I think they are a future classic.
Old 4th February 2007
Here for the gear

Hello There,
If you can afford to keep the RC´s, keep them. I ditched my japanese-made set and regretted ever since. They are great drums for many purposes.
As to your seeking a different sound, try maple shells, their tonal balance is more even than birch, with more focused midrange. Any major company makes good maple drums, mine are Yamaha Absolute Custom, great allround drums. Check out different shell thicknesses, drums with or without reinforcing rings, etc. I´m sure you´ll find what your looking for. If you want really dark sounding drums with lots of low end, mahogany shell is the way to go.

Happy Hitting!

P.S. shorter drums actually have longer sustain than deep ones, the RC´s long sustain is due to a thin shell and lots of low frequencies. Go check out my drum muffling trick in the "Low End Theory" forum, "how do you usually compress drums?"- thread.
Old 4th February 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

+1 to what chrisso said. For that sound, I'd be looking for a 60's or 70's Ludwig maple kit with reinforcing rings. FAT. That or a Slingerland. It'll run about $850-$2000 for a good one depending on how many pieces you want. But they're usually 3 toms and a kick, sometimes a snare.

I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, but it would be a good place to start looking. http://www.vintagedrum.com/shopping.php
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
+1 to what chrisso said. For that sound, I'd be looking for a 60's or 70's Ludwig maple kit with reinforcing rings. FAT. That or a Slingerland. It'll run about $850-$2000 for a good one depending on how many pieces you want. But they're usually 3 toms and a kick, sometimes a snare.

I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, but it would be a good place to start looking. http://www.vintagedrum.com/shopping.php
Thanks for the link,
I don't know about reinforcing rings, what are they and what do they do to the sound?
I've had my kit for 12 years, and never got another one or customised anything so I don't know about any possible improvemnts to be made apart from changing heads.
Any info welcome.

Also do you think It won't make such a difference to change my toms for the shorter ones?

Thanks for your responses.

Jean
Old 5th February 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Thanks for the link,
I don't know about reinforcing rings, what are they and what do they do to the sound?
I've had my kit for 12 years, and never got another one or customised anything so I don't know about any possible improvemnts to be made apart from changing heads.
Any info welcome.

Also do you think It won't make such a difference to change my toms for the shorter ones?

Thanks for your responses.

Jean
The effect of reinforcing rings on the sound of a drum is debatable. There are drummers (and scientists) who say that they bring up the pitch of a shell, kill resonance, and focus the fundamental pitch. Physical laws would say that is accurate, but it doesn't always hold true in listening. It all depends on how the rings are installed and for what reason.

Originally, the rings were installed to do what their naming implies - reinforce or add strength to a shell. Thinner-shelled vintage drums were given rings to keep their shells in round and durable, while still allowing the tone of the thin shell to sing. Newer shells, which on modern kits are more often than not Keller maple, are stronger and don't necessarily need them. Then again there are manufacturers like Craviotto who are skilled enough to add tonal (pitch) enhancement to drums by adding rings.

As far as using shorter toms, I don't think tom depth always reflects the length of sustain. There are many variables involved including shell thickness, mounting, head selection and dampening, tuning, and technique that all affect sustain. I've always been keen on picking a drum that makes a sound I like and dealing with any sustain issues afterward. IOW, the drum doesn't have to be the key variable when there are so many ways to shorten or lengthen sustain.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply,
now I'll get on with making music and try new heads and tuning/damping my kit.
I'll go to the drum store this week and try out kits.

Jean
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

I use recording customs with aquarian performance 2 heads.. people tend to mention this setup and orgasms in the same sentence...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search