The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
can you identify these drums for me?
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

can you identify these drums for me?

Hi, need a drum kit and am buying one tomorrow, but have stumbled upon a post for a kit i could possibly want to get. can you help me identify it? i think it could possibly be a birch classic kit. i figured someone here knows ludwig wraps, badges, and lungs and could help me. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
can you identify these drums for me?-bluesparkle.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

actually i think it might be a vintage 70's maple kit. wow
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

yeah it looks similiar to my mid seventys maple ludwigs. if you get them chances are they will need the bearing edges redone. when i got mine it had the worlds worst edges and once they were recut i was a completly different kit in a great way

good luck
Old 23rd January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

I grew up playing a kit almost exactly like that (same wrap), just the toms were smaller, and the badge was like this (making it a mid 60's kit) :

The badge in your picture looks closest to this (to me), which would date it anywhere from 1969 to the late 70's:

The latest 70's badges look like this:

I can't confirm the maple without seeing it, and the inside of toms on the kit I played were painted white and stamped with a date. I think I still have a tom from that kit with Aug 1963 stamped inside. I'll have a look when I get back to the studio.

Anyway, ask the seller for close up pics of the badges, and to look inside the drums for a datestamp.

Either way, if the price is right, GRAB IT!
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

$450, i'm getting them. woo hoo. could i be doing the wrong thing?
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

I just found out the interior of the drum is painted black??? and i have a serial number from the floor tom it's 982416
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

did ludwig make any crappy kits that look like this? or besides what the condition is, should this kit be quality even if it's mahogony, or birch, or maple? thank you
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

he just told me $400 plus 3 cymbal stands, hithat stand, kick pedal, and throne. IT'S MINE!!!
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Geeeeez! i got them for $400. a 20" kick, 16" floor, 13" rack tom. BLUE SPARKLE wrap, black interior, and reinforcement rings. He through in nice old gig bags that are gray with red plush interior, 1 straight cymbal stand, 2 boom stands, a kick pedal, and snare stand, a hihat stand, then busts out an esoniq vfx es vintage synth, and then a korg dss-1 synth and says take those too, then he had a small casio analog sampling keyboard in the garbage he said take it, then he's like **** i have all these extra brand name heads lying around like 4 18" kick heads, 3 12" in batter tom heads, and a couple 10 inchers. SOOOO WOW!!!

then i took my 60's fender rhodes 73 student to Guitar Center to trade in for some nice cymbals and snare, and everyone was like "WOW THAT THING IS GREAATT! I want it" and Guitar Center was like "we'll give you $250 cause it'll probably just sit around cause those things are hard to sell" and i was like, "F- OFF A$$Bowls!!!" and i now need to find a snare and hihats first thing.

I'm still not sure if my kit is maple or not, but they sound great so i'm not too worried, the kicks edges need to be redone and reheaded with possibly a new hoop or two. If anyone else knows what this kit might be i would be interested in your input. thanks
Old 25th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownjon View Post
I just found out the interior of the drum is painted black??? and i have a serial number from the floor tom it's 982416
The serial no. would place the floor tom around 1979. I've been told that Ludwig and other drum manufacturers used to paint the interior of their drums to hide imperfections in the woodgrain. Don't know if your kit is maple or not, but take a tom to a good drumshop and they should know.

$400 for the kit + all that other loot? Congrats, man!

Glad to hear the kit sounds great ontop of it all. thumbsup
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

the interiors were most likely not painted black by ludwig. ludwigs from the 60s did have white painted interiors. (other companies did too, leedy and such..though leedy and ludwig were at sometime connected). anyways. yea if its late 70s then it should be natural maple interior i think.

the shells are most likely made of 3 plies. maple/poplar/maple, with a thick maple reinforcement ring. if you have any of the drums' bearing edges redone, please make sure the person doing it is well qualified, and i'd recommend asking them to keep the exact same bearing edge ( i think its a 30 degree round over?). really round edges tend to give vintage drums the fatness and warmth that they are known for. soft poplar helps too.

yea that's all i got.

good luck. 20/13/16 blue sparkle. good shi t

-w
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

I was thinking about getting the bearing edges done. they need it. what if I did a more modern cut? would they sound punchy and modern? or what?
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

on my ludwigs i did a double 45degree cut and they are sweet.

all i say is try cause if you do not like it then you can just recut them, it ain't no big deal
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

would you say it added punch, or clarity to the drum? Do they ring out longer? are they louder? ??? : / ?>
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Addict

i would say it added clarity and punch but not volume and yes the ring a lot better

allover it saved mine from being hocked to not ever gonna be sold
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

awesome, thank you.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

What's the process for getting bearing edges cut? Do you run a router around the edge or do you find someone to do it? Who would do it and what are we talking to get a bass drum, 2 toms and a snare done?

That set looks killer, BTW.
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

it really is quite easy

for all info needed to do that sort of work go check out this forum

http://forum.drumshed.org/

all the answers are here

good luck
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Bro.
Old 6th February 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
on my ludwigs i did a double 45degree cut and they are sweet.

all i say is try cause if you do not like it then you can just recut them, it ain't no big deal

Do it if they are trashed. Even new Ludwig kits have questionable bearing edges and I'm having a brand new set of Classic Maple drums recut.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

definitely a late 70s or early 80s kit as the bass drum mount is the modular from that era. Cool drums.....don't rush too quickly on those bearing edges. Sometimes, the older, worn edges are what gives the vintage drums their character. I love my 70s Luddys and would never think to touch the bearing edges unless they get damaged. If I'd wanted modern bearing edges, I'd get a modern kit.

As for the black paint, that was done by a previous owner. Back then EVERYONE took off the bottom/front heads and folks thought it looked cool to be black in there. I don't know how many "vintage" or just old kits have this. It really stinks to run across a killer vintage kit in a rare color only to find the interiors painted with black krylon.

later,

m
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

The edges on on the kick are all screwed up and the front wood hoop has been replaced with one the doesn't fit correctly so the bass drum claws don't fit over the hoop and dig into it a little. bummer. the floor tom however looks great, no paint and the edges are nice and and and it sounds incredible.

The Kick drum actually has a copper colored badge that makes me think it didnt come with the toms originally and could be 60's. could i be correct? I wonder with the edges cut and new heads on the kick how big i can get this 20" to sound. hmm.
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Sometime in the 80s and even currenly, the new Ludwig company went to a larger brass/bronze colored logo that was similar to the old "keystone" badge from the 60s, but instead of saying "chicago" it says "north carolina" or wherever they're made now. It escapes me at the moment.....I'm getting old.

m
Old 7th February 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet View Post
Sometimes, the older, worn edges are what gives the vintage drums their character. I love my 70s Luddys and would never think to touch the bearing edges unless they get damaged. If I'd wanted modern bearing edges, I'd get a modern kit.

later,

m
You are right. I suggested the bearing recut only if his were beyond hope.

Modern drums with a modern style bearing edge cut, sound more aggressive and have more attack than vintage style bearing edges.

My new Ludwig kit has a modern style edge but they aren't cut worth a **** so I chose to get them redone. It's a new kit so I'm not worried about ruining the vintage mojo that the thread starter's old blue sparkle Ludwig might have.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

the badge reads chicago. I'm excited. i love history.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search