The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Drums.. First time.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
Recording Drums.. First time.

So, i'm going to be recording a Brit-pop style group (Oasis, Blur, etc) and I'm unsure how to record their drums.
Do I use 1 mic on the kick, 1 on snare / hihat, 1 on toms, and two overheads?

Any help, as usual, would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 17th January 2007
There is no rule about the number of mics.
I guess the modern convention for recording rock drums would be to mic each individual element. Sometimes using 2 x mics (as in bass drum: one mic in, one mic outside, snare top and bottom, less frequently toms top and bottom).
This would be the same for the Brit Pop sound. The main thing would be to try and get a great room sound and use plenty of it in the mix.
You could use fewer mics (as few as 3) and achieve an acceptable sound. I'm just describing the most used method which would have been employed on most Oasis/Blur type recordings.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear
What about mic selection?
I don't have "enough" mics to record a full kit yet,.. So i'm looking into getting some.

Would a drum package be good,..Samson etc?
Or a AKG D112, SM57s, and two overheads (suggestions?)?
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Noodles- View Post
What about mic selection?
Would a drum package be good,..Samson etc?
No, not for serious recording.
Search 'drum mics' on the general forums. Lot's of discussion and recommendations over the years.
Generally drum mics are not cheap.
A 57 being the exception.
Other standards are D12, RE20, Senn 421, ribbon mics.
But different people use a lot of different combinations.
What do you already have?
If you are starting completely from scratch I might suggest a decent bass drum mic, a 57 on snare and a couple of decent sounding overhead/room mics.
The Oasis and Blur drums were recorded expensively though.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Exclamation

If you have a killer room, I'd start the money on room mics. Otherwise, small room challenged people like myself may do better investing more on the close mics.

I dig the oktava mc/mk012s. I use them on toms, but they could serve well as room, overhead, utility mics...they're cheap on Ebay
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

a pair of those cheap chinese ribbons like the Nady's or other brand are nice little room mics as well. Love ribbons squashed as rooms for drums.

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Right now i've only got a couple 57's, and i only track guitars in my own projects - but obviously, now i want to get into having enough mic's to cover the drums of this project.
Thanks.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
Anyone else?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

Do you have a "budget" for some new gear/mics...? Are you recording to a DAW...?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdio View Post
Do you have a "budget" for some new gear/mics...? Are you recording to a DAW...?
ProTools, and not much more than £300 for the mics.. I just want to get a few mics to get me started, and wondered what was the "best" way to go.
Old 20th January 2007
Buy one good £300 mic and start saving.
Again, there is lot's of valuable information on the subject of drum micing in the main forums (high end, so much gear). Use the search function.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Buy one good £300 mic and start saving.
Again, there is lot's of valuable information on the subject of drum micing in the main forums (high end, so much gear). Use the search function.
Thing is, I don't really want to only have one good mic - it's not going to help in capturing a drum kit. So your post isn't really helpful, sorry.
I do understand that it's important to have a good signal chain - but if you're recording something which needs a lot of mics, one good mic ain't gonna help you.

I've used the search function, and nothing has came up which fitted my specifications - however, if there are any which i missed, please post them
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Can you borrow mics from someone? That would really help. And, it would give you a good idea of what to buy when you have enough cake.

Now, on to your question...

Honestly, if you have a couple SM57s, that's a good start. That's kick and snare right there. If I had 300 bucks to spend, I'd buy two more 57's for the toms and a cheap set of lipstick tube condensors like Octavas. I wouldn't expect it to sound amazing without some outboard eqs, though. If at all possible, put a condensor on the outside of the kick drum pretty close to the resonant head. Aside from that, TUNE, TUNE, TUNE! Get those drums singing in the room or else you're not going to have a fighting chance of making them sound good in the mix.

Good luck!
-Aaron
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
Thanks dude..

AKG D112 - £100
SM 57 - £70
Samson c02 £88 (overheads)

That's within budget, and i could borrow some of the Uni's 57s..
Decent?
Old 21st January 2007
Quote:
Thing is, I don't really want to only have one good mic - it's not going to help in capturing a drum kit. So your post isn't really helpful, sorry.
Of course my comment was largely humorous as you seem unwilling to search Gearslutz for lots of drum info. There wont be a topic about micing a kit for under £300, but you might benefit from seeing what other Gearslutz are doing for numbers and brands of mics.
Here's a good place to start:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/100441-do-all-drumming-setup.html

Good sounding tom mics on a budget:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/104642-good-tom-mics.html

and 26 pages of studio pictures, mic lists and drum mic discussion here!!!:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/6803-pictures-miced-up-drum-kits-studio.html
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear
I've looked through all of the mentioned topics, and i still made my topic due to it not being properly answered.
Most of the equipment that is recommended within the "do it all" topic is basically £200+, or USA based, which i cannot get a hold of. The budget for this topic is 5k.

The topic with your tom mic's however, is a little more use - but again, the most added mic in that topic is the MD421 - which is £300 in the UK.

I'm not sure you're reading my topic, and these topics or else you wouldn't have been suggesting these topics again, and none of them specifically deal with the fact that i am going to be working with a Brit-pop band neither.
Old 21st January 2007
Quote:
I've looked through all of the mentioned topics, and i still made my topic due to it not being properly answered.
I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted your question.
But you didn't find any lower budget drum mic suggestions in that 26 pages of drum mic chat?
Quote:
I'm not sure you're reading my topic, and these topics or else you wouldn't have been suggesting these topics again, and none of them specifically deal with the fact that i am going to be working with a Brit-pop band neither.
1) Read my first post.
2) You can never know enough about drum mics and recording techniques.

I'm not stopping other Gearslutz from replying to your topic. There are plenty of Gearslutz who can advise you on recording drums on a very tight budget better than me. In the meantime I was just trying to help by pointing you in the direction of the vast wealth of info on this site.
6 pages of chat about drum mics from a Gearslutz point of view:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/73336-your-favorite-drum-mics.html
By the way, Brit/Pop doesn't require a specific set of mics.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

£300 is almost $600.....I think you could score a decent setup with that:

Overhead options:
ATM450 $180 each new on ebay ($260 total)
Kel HM-1 $100ish new each ($200 total)
Studio Projects B1's (new $100 each)

Kick:
Audix D6 $150-$200 ebay
ATM 25 $120ish ebay
D112 $150ish ebay

Snare:
Beyer m201 ($150ish used/ebay)
Audix i5 $100 ebay
Shure SM57 $100 new

Being a brit-pop fan myself I think some combination of the above could totally get you there. It's all about how and where you use them. There are lots of other options as well--the above are just a few of many suggestions. Most of the mics listed can pull double duty as guitar cab mics, bass mics, etc.....good luck !!
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Addict

yea 57's that you have for kick and snare.

pair of sdc for overheads, oktavas have been suggested alot...dunno the prices in uk.

maybe borrow those other 57s for toms. but getting a good overhead or room sound with the sdc's you shouldn't need a really cutting set of toms... just thinking about brit pop.

a 57 as a room mic crushed might make more sense in this style.

i had so much fun the other day with a samson co2 inside the kick (14x20 with no hole...had a may mount init) and an i5 as an overhead. i crushed the overhead and put compressed reverb on the kick and it sounded sooooo sweet... a little too aggressive/bonham for brit pop maybe. but that's cheap as balls and it was fun!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search