The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HiHat microphone placement
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

HiHat microphone placement

I would like to start using my Oktava MC012 strictly on my hihat as I am using Rode NT5s for my dedicated OHs. My question is whether or not it is advised to place the microphone below the hihats aimed up at them rather than on top aimed down towards them? Either way, I would put the mic perpindicular to the hats aiming directly at them. Due to having cymbals near my hihats above them, it would be easier to place the mic below as opposed to the standard placement above. Has anyone done it this way? Seems like it is not too crazy, though I always see mics ABOVE the hats rather than below them. You all are much more experienced with recording and mic placement in general than I am...I am WAY new to all of this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

I prefer micing the Hi-Hats from above. I have always got a nice clean attack with the drumstick tip .
Old 16th January 2007
that's right. one usually gets a better attack from micing the HiHat from above near where the stick hits the cymbal.
sometimes micing below the hats is ok but i find there's a lot of midrange frequencies which leap out more.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Seems like more than likely, I will be better off moving stuff a bit for clearance and placing it above. I'll have to experiment. It would have been easier to mount the mic below too since I would use my Shure a56d mount to place it below the hat subsequently eliminating another mic stand footprint. This is not for recording, but rather for rehearsals and our space is limited. I am trying to cut corners where I can. Seems like the ends simply won't justify the means...a stand placed above the hats it is then! Thanks for the prompt replies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search