The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Net Neutrality
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Net Neutrality

Hey gang

First, thanks for hanging out with us, there is a whole lot of very interesting info here.

So I wanted to get your take on Net Neutrality and what we can do and what is being done? I would think this is something very important to your business model and all that we are talking about in this special forum.

YouTube - Humanity Lobotomy - Second Draft

Thanks again, keep up the great work!
Old 26th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile check out Future of Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I wanted to get your take on Net Neutrality
Obviously almost everyone except the big Verizon-size carriers are on the side of the net remaining neutral.

If you're interested in this subject, please check out Future of Music Coalition in Washington DC who's lobbying on the side of musicians against the big telcos on this. Here's their recent statement about Net Neutrality.
Old 26th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

I keep trying to think of a situation where I WOULDN'T want net neutrality.

Here in New York, all the big avenues of Manhattan have a fire lane down the middle. I don't entirely know what the rules are, but I THINK they're "if you hear sirens, get out of that lane." So the road becomes "non-neutral" during emergencies: no trafic except emergency vehicles on that lane during the crisis.

But the Internet isn't REALLY a superhighway, or a road (or a series of tubes--sorry, couldn't resist), and what could possibly be an "emergency"? And even if there were, who would need "emergency" access, what would that be? Video? An email would do it, and no one is saying they can't get an email through without preference...

This is a long-winded, philosophic way of saying keep the net NEUTRAL, darn it!

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 26th November 2007
Gear nut

I realize that I don't hold a very popular position on this, but I'm interested in what the experts have to say.

Do you guys have any concerns about what may happen 15 years from now if NN leads to a tax on internet access/commerce and regulation of obscenity/expression/etc.? NN seems like a great idea at first, but isn't it really just setting a precedent for government control of the internet? The last thing we need is a Fairness Doctrine or FCC for the web.

Is it nasty and evil of the telcos to block certain content? Absolutely! But private enterprises can do as they please. I'm surprised two entrepreneurs who have had incredible and well-deserved success aren't a little more wary of encroaching restrictions on private industry.

I realize that there's no good answer for this since both options are pretty terrible, but is there any fear that this kind of legislation may come back to bite you later?

thanks.
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhair View Post
I realize that I don't hold a very popular position on this, but I'm interested in what the experts have to say.

Do you guys have any concerns about what may happen 15 years from now if NN leads to a tax on internet access/commerce and regulation of obscenity/expression/etc.? NN seems like a great idea at first, but isn't it really just setting a precedent for government control of the internet? The last thing we need is a Fairness Doctrine or FCC for the web.

Is it nasty and evil of the telcos to block certain content? Absolutely! But private enterprises can do as they please. I'm surprised two entrepreneurs who have had incredible and well-deserved success aren't a little more wary of encroaching restrictions on private industry.

I realize that there's no good answer for this since both options are pretty terrible, but is there any fear that this kind of legislation may come back to bite you later?

thanks.
Hey man.

I agree with you that the government should stay the hell out of many things. But there are three major problems with your argument in my eyes.

1) The telcos are trying to have their way with the Internet by using the very same government that you and I want to keep out of the way. We want less legislation and the telcos are trying to enact more. Kind of counter to your argument right?

What the telcos are trying to do is create a legalized monopoly. THAT is bad news.

2) Net Neutrality is not necessary linked to more Internet taxes. For all intents and purposes we really have NN right now.. and we don't have taxes. We NN folks are just saying that there is no reason to change anything at all. The telcos are making money hand over fist, other businesses are thriving and we end users have an outlet and choices. Yes the telcos are going to need to invest money in infastrucure but they are making enough to do that now.

3) MOST importantly we need to protect freedom of speech and information. The Internet is the FOUNDATION for all communication advancements to come. If the telcos win now they will control things for many many years to come.

Do you really go to CNN or worse Fox News for information? What if Fox News and CNN were the only source of news in the world, or at least in the U.S.? Do you want your choices to be limited to what someone else feeds you or do you want to have the option to go where you want?

To me it is ludicrous to have limited options for entertainment, information and no possibility to voice our own views with sites like YouTube, MySpace, Tunecore, CD Baby and others not to mention personal blogs. You may or may not like some or any of these sites but they are outlets for personal discourse with the whole world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search