The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Submit to Available time gap?
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Submit to Available time gap?

Hi guys... thanks for being here.

I've been using Tunecore (which is great!). I'm curious if there's hope for a shorter delay between submitting an album for iTunes and the day it's up on iTunes. I'm assuming the hang up is on Apple's side... still 6-8 weeks is a long time for those of us who like to finish something and get it up to sell.

Thanks!
Old 17th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

We have your music at iTunes and the other stores you choose within HOURS, Stick. And often, iTunes has it up in mere days, sometimes a week or two, but there's always a chance the store could take longer. It's their store, we can't guarantee when.

So we say 6 to 8 weeks because, historically, that's as long as it's ever taken. Any more than that indicates a problem.

But generally, it's a LOT faster than that.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Ah, that's cool to know Peter.

Seems like the two I've submitted (two more in the hopper waiting to show up) were 4 weeks and 5 weeks, I think.

Glad to hear it's fast on your end.

Thanks for the great service!
Old 18th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile iTunes takes about a week

Ditto for CD Baby.

I think the CD Baby web site still says 3 months or something, to scare away the panicky-types.

Better to underpromise and overdeliver.

But really we do same-day encoding and delivery, and iTunes gets everything added every week. We email you the exact URL to your album as soon as it's added.

CD Baby: Digital Distribution <-- more info here
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Nice... thanks Derek.

I passed you in the hall at the Road Rally, but didn't get a chance to say 'hi'. Maybe next year!
Old 26th November 2007
Gear nut

These arbitrary dates vs. scheduled promotion

To all:

I've read comments in other threads extolling the benefits of precisely coordinated release/promotion efforts.

Why is a scheduled release (ala major label's Tuesday releases) not available to indie artists? Not being able to schedule a release throws a wench in the plans of the little guy with little clout planning events even more than those of the majors who can muscle their way into venues.

Any plans in the works to correct this?
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I gotta say I was wondering this exact thing just this morning...

R.
Old 26th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile scheduled release

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Why is a scheduled release (ala major label's Tuesday releases) not available to indie artists?
It is. You just have to ask.

It's not the default setup for obvious reasons : most independent artists aren't working on that kind of big-coordinated-release-date approach.

But if you are, just tell us what date you need it to appear on iTunes, and we take care of it. That's our job.
Old 26th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

Scheduled releases can happen, but they can't be guaranteed. When TuneCore first started, we discovered anything more specific than a range made people feel their album would be up ON THAT DAY, and though at times the stores have been happy to oblige, the've sometimes been delayed, or even get the wires crossed and put things up too early.

Since we can't guarantee, it's safer not to set expectations. But as always, write our support team (support@tunecore.com), they can do tremendous things!

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Not to start a fight but...

Is it possible to set a firm release date or isn't it?

R.
Old 30th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile possible to set a firm release date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Is it possible to set a firm release date or isn't it?
From my experience, yes. It takes some serious special-favors and we can't do it that often, but we can call our contacts at Apple and tell them it has to be active on a certain day.

The more reliable method is to tell your distributor it has to be up a week BEFORE the date you really want, so that you can see it with your own eyes, download it yourself, make sure everything works, before telling the world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search