The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does CD Baby have a promotion arm?
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Does CD Baby have a promotion arm?

We are just about to send out our product to you guys, we are ordering about 2000 cd's, they'll be sold in a few months. We'll move about 10,000 at first (year or so). We know this from past experience. Our online game is just starting, and we are really stuck on how to promote the CD Baby site. Or should we be promoting iTunes?

Is it better, from your past experience to promote the artist website, the internet distributor website, or a certain store website. OR throw money at google (he sais blindly) or something?

We don't have a HUGE budget, but we do have over 20k (our own money) to try to get this project over the hump. We really want to sell over 40, 50k this time. We are in Colorado, we have a street team, phone team, sales people (2), but we Don't have a publicist, signed agent, or a B&M distributor like on our last record, which we lost at least 10 grand on!

Any suggestions?

BTW the artist is Black Pegasus, "The Black Mexican". The album is the best one I worked on in 20 years!!!
Old 30th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile Always only promote YOUR site. Your own domain name.

Always only promote YOUR site. Your own domain name.

Then on your site you can have "CLICK HERE TO BUY IT" links that go to iTunes for digital, and CD Baby or Amazon for physical.

Never say, "Go find us on iTunes". That's like telling someone to call 411 to get your number instead of just giving it to them. The day you're up and selling on iTunes, we send you the exact link that jumps to your album's page there, so it's best to use that from your site.

Make sure your site has that little "who are you?" form box at the top of every page, asking for their name and email, so you can keep in touch, and develop a long ongoing relationship with that person.

Can't do that by just telling them to "go to iTunes". Definitely keep them on your site.

P.S. Yes we have a full-time promotion guy : ben@cdbaby.com - as mentioned in another topic here, email him specifics about your music, facts he can use to communicate to our retail partners, not just opinions.
Old 30th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile publicist and distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
we Don't have a publicist, signed agent, or a B&M distributor like on our last record
For the publicist, contact ArielPublicity.com.
For in-store distribution, contact dylan@cdbaby.com. We have a real label-deal with Warner Music which we can put a few top-selling albums through each year. Dylan's in charge of that.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Derek, hey thanks for the direction pointing! So I guess we're on the right track!

I guess I really wanted to know if you guys had an artist that promoted something a certain way, and it worked really well! IE google, myspace, facebook, CD Baby, iTunes etc...?
Old 30th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile success stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
if you guys had an artist that promoted something a certain way, and it worked really well
Not that I can say in a soundbite here, but I'm going to be writing up a whole series of instructional success stories with many many specific tales of what our most successful artists are doing and how they did it.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search