The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Numbers
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Numbers

Hi all.

So first of all, now that this forum is wrapping up I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for your time. This was a great and informative round-table. Thanks!

Alright.... I don't think this is possible to really answer so I am not looking for exact numbers or anything.. I am just wondering as a round ballpark.

Let's say for example you have artist associated with your different companies. The artist has a medium amount of talent, good songs, not The Beatles but not some 10 year old on their first instrument.

This artist is going to put a medium amount of time into "promotion." Not spending all day signing up friends on MySpace or hanging flyer's around town but they take an active hand in getting their work out to be heard. They play a few shows a month or less as weekend warriors but they are not out on any national tours.

In short, I would expect this to be pretty standard fare for most of the artists that use your collective services.

What is a realistic number of units and net profit an "average" artist would expect from your services?
Old 30th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
What is a realistic number of units and net profit an "average" artist would expect?
I'm so glad you prefaced that question with your definition of "average". Most people just say, "What does the average artist sell?", to which I have to reply, "There is no average. Let me explain..."

For some people, releasing an album is the starting-line. They're going to go tour, promote, constantly tell everyone, try marketing experiments, get fans to help push it, etc. Those artists will sell an average of $1000 on CD Baby, between physical and digital.

For some people, releasing an album is the finish-line. They have a day-job doing something else, but have always wanted to make a record. They got some friends together, sunk far too much money into it, but never expected to make a living out of it anyway. When the album is done, they don't tell anyone but a few friends, and quietly put it on CD Baby to see if someone might be into it, but they're not going to do any real promotion. They're done. Those artists will sell an average of $5 on CD Baby. (Many sell $20. Many sell nothing.)

So, as with anything, it's all up to you.

CD Baby sells around 2000 CDs a day, and about 1000 a day are to total strangers who were just browsing the store, and bought something they hadn't heard of a few minutes before.

So, you could say that half of the sales at CD Baby are driven by the artist's efforts, and half are generated by us.

Not sure if that helps, but here's some more info: CD Baby - Sales numbers at CD Baby
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search