The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Payment options (international)
Old 25th November 2007
Gear addict

Payment options (international)

I'm in europe and most of my friends and family don't have a creditcard to buy the music I put online. This for me is a big barrier to use your services.

Are there any plans to use alternative methods like paypal or local direct payment options?
Old 25th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile everyone accepts PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koed View Post
most of my friends and family don't have a creditcard to buy the music I put online... are there any plans to use alternative methods like paypal or local direct payment options?
Almost everybody accepts PayPal as payment. CD Baby does. I'm sure the rest do.

Services like iTunes that are software, not a website, don't accept PayPal. But most websites do.

CD Baby will have a Euro bank account for bank-transfers soon, too.
Old 26th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

Absolutely, we take PayPal. You can also mail us a money order in U.S. dollars. And we'll get your money back to you via PayPal or even a paper check. An enormous percentage of our customers are from outside the U.S., many because there's no need to send us anything, you can upload your music and do it all without buying a postage stamp. PayPal lets you do that with money, too, but if you do want to send us something in the mail, no problem.

To set it up, just write our support team: support@tunecore.com

They're a great and hard-working bunch, they'll help you right out.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sivers View Post
CD Baby will have a Euro bank account for bank-transfers soon, too.
Upon investigation this was my biggest concern.

I VERY nearly went with Tunecore when Jeff first started showing his face around here a year or two ago (I think Tunecore is a great concept and a really great team. From what I've seen I'm also really starting to like Derek's attitude too!) but for those of us based outside the US the multiple currency exchanges severely put me off.

Example: Sales in Germany = Convert Euro to Dollar, Convert Dollar to British Pound.

It's only pennies (or should I say pence?) but they add up!

Of course we could blame the UK for not joining the Euro but that's another heated argument altogether!

Take care,

R.
Old 26th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile don't forget the real point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
It's only pennies but they add up!
Yeah, but in the meantime, I hope you're not letting that slow your career in any way.

I've met musicians that say, "I have a cover song on my album, and I'd have to send those royalty payments to the publisher, so I'm not going to put that album on iTunes."

Which means they're losing potential thousands in sales, just to "not spend" a few pennies per sale. (Same with merchants who don't take American Express because AmEx charges an extra 1% transaction fee. At work, we only have company AmEx cards so if a merchant doesn't accept AmEx we shop somewhere else.)

Maybe you went with another company and are happy. But if you're avoiding doing distribution altogether just because of a few pennies in currency converstion, all I'm saying is don't forget the real point.
Old 26th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Upon investigation this was my biggest concern.

I VERY nearly went with Tunecore when Jeff first started showing his face around here a year or two ago (I think Tunecore is a great concept and a really great team. From what I've seen I'm also really starting to like Derek's attitude too!) but for those of us based outside the US the multiple currency exchanges severely put me off.

Example: Sales in Germany = Convert Euro to Dollar, Convert Dollar to British Pound.
True! There's nothing we can really do about it, since that's how iTunes sends out their checks.

On the plus side, since TuneCore takes none of the back end, and you only pay us on the front end for delivery--and in U.S. dollars--it winds up being cheaper for those with favorable exchanges, such as just about everybody these days.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Cheers guys!

I did eventually go with someone over here for my latest release but ONLY that release, I still have 4 albums of back-cat waiting.

Regarding the pennies: I suppose I was just waiting/hoping for someone Euro-centric to do this.

R.
Old 29th November 2007
Gear addict

Thanks for that answer .
In fact Tunecore and CD baby are the only ones I've found that accept Paypal, most of your competitors don't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search