The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surround MP3s
Old 18th November 2007
Lives for gear

Surround MP3s

Do any of you guys have artists selling surround MP3s? Do you guys think that this would help artists at all?

See http://www.all4mp3.com

I was thinking of offering extended 5.1 remixes in addition to standard MP3s, OR selling the CD with the surround mixes only.

Thanks.
Old 19th November 2007
I have heard these and they DO sound amazing.. definitely a tec development area worth keeping an eye on IMHO..
Old 19th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

We're looking into it. Sometimes I wonder if there are hours in the day to explore all the new things popping up!

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Don't some mp3's at 128K sound like they are in surround already -- or is that just my head spinning?...

John
Old 21st November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile John's head is spinning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
or is that just my head spinning?
I'd been meaning to ask you about your spinning head, John.

It's kinda freaking me out.

Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sivers View Post
I'd been meaning to ask you about your spinning head, John.

It's kinda freaking me out.

Hello Derek --

I'm not trying to be a total wise-guy here, but I think this is where one of the greatest divides that exists between the consumer and the pro. And it comes down to how people 'use' music as a commercial product. Users of the product might not seem bothered by it, but those of us who sit in front of speakers all day long have a different take on it.

When I sit in front of a set of speakers, or put on headphones, 128K mp3's sound to me like the center image 'jitters' for lack of a better term [and not in the technical sense of the word as applies to digital audio]. I never feel that center information sits comfortably and stable-y. It's almost like the phase information is not quite accurate. While a bit more extreme than a 128 mp3, if you have a CD copy of Sly & the Family Stone's 'Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)', listen to it in front of a set of speakers, or in headphones. The drum overheads are out of phase. As an audio professional, my stomach literally gets unsettled by it.

As a music fan and musician, it is one of my favorite records of all time !!!!! So I just don't get too close to it, in a professional-listening-sort-of-way

FWIW, I think 160 is the lowest rate that doesn't make me queezy. I was happy when EMI allowed for uncopy-protected releases and thus paved the way for higher quality mp3 releases.

Don't get me started on surround... HA !

Cheers, and glad you guys are sharing your POV here...

John
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search