The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music biz - how do we turn the tide? Q3
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Music biz - how do we turn the tide - Q3

A lot of people are saying traditional "mass media" channels are dying or
evolving desperately to keep up. But the fact is these forms of media are so entrenched in all cultures that it will take at least a quarter of a century for it to lose significant foothold. I would think the world's internet/broadband user population is only a minute % of the entire world exposed to media/content. As local/terrestrial media channels evolve, and broadband/mobile becomes more ubiquitous, how do you see them finally converging? Do you see a future for artists in continuing the traditional route of "rights exploitation" (performance, synchronisation rights for instance)? What is your vision of content aquisition in future?

Thanks Guests!
Old 16th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile all predictions are off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
...how do you see them finally converging? ... What is your vision of content aquisition in future?
Sorry I didn't want to leave this completely unanswered, but I just think it's unwise to even pretend to predict the future.

React to the present.

Do what excites you. See CD Baby - If it excites you, go do it

Somebody could invent something tomorrow that changes everything, so all predictions are off.
Old 19th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

I'm not sure I even have a "vision" for content acquisition in the future. I'm content to explore what this new thing, digital distribution, has to offer. But by all means, people should be continuing to explore "traditional" means of everything: music production, marketing, distribution, even performance.

The tape "killed" vinyl, the CD "killed" tape, digital online distribution "killed" the CD--none of these are true, because nothing is dead. Vinyl changed to become an actual means of making music. Ever hear Kid Koala? He's my favorite turntablist.

This isn't really an aswer to your question, I know, because I don't truly have one, I don't know the future and don't want to stake any claims just now. But I do know what happens is almost always more surprising and more wonderful than people think.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search