The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thanks for contributing
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for contributing

Hey guys,

Don't be discouraged by the lack of traffic, at least so far. This site is called Gearslutz, but could just as easily be called Geekslutz. The making of music is the focus, not the selling.

Which is an unfortunate oversight, which Jules is attempting to correct here (good move, mate), because there are greater opportunities now than ever before for somebody with talent and vision to take their music to the masses on their own terms.

I'm about to start a thread elsewhere in this mini-forum, but i wanted to say thanks for contributing, and welcome, first.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Same from this side of the planet, Welcome & THX for showing up !
Looking forward to get some new infos !
Old 15th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile Focus on making music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
The making of music is the focus, not the selling.
... and it always should be!

I think unfortunately there are too many musicians spending too many hours doing uncreative things like adding friends to MySpace instead of focusing on their real value : which is constantly creating uniquely amazing music.
Old 15th November 2007
Peter Wells, SVP Operations, Customer Advocate - Tunecore

That's what's so cool about Gearslutz: the link between the gear, the music and the industry is explicit.

GEAR --> MUSIC --> FANS --> SALES (if you want them) --> MONEY --> GEAR --> (infinity symbol here ).

Since the 20th century, it's been impossible to see music outside of the means of its production: the instrument is integral to the music, and recording, producing and mastering are all part of the instrument.

You guys bring it together. We'll get you out there and heard.

--Peter
peter@tunecore.com
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac
Thanks for starting this thread guys - I am eager to see where it goes. As an indie artist myself Todd Hunter Band - Canadian pop rock for fans of R.E.M., Coldplay, Blue Rodeo, Counting Crows, Crowded House, Barenaked Ladies, etc. - HOME (I use CDBABY and HOSTBABY and met Derek when he gave a presentation in my hometown of Winnipeg, MB, Canada), I try to learn how to market my music online, especially since I don't physically tour/perform live very often. So far, with the exception of getting one sweet TV Film song placement and some digital sales, I have found that almost ALL of my music income has come from live performances and their residual CD and t-shirt sales. So far, I don't believe there are very many people willing to seek out (and pay for)new music online, unless it is created by an artist they are already familiar with. Naturally, I hope this situation will change to the benefit of everyone...
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for being here guys. I love what I've read so far.
Old 16th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile there ARE very many people willing to seek out (and pay for)new music online

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyman View Post
I don't believe there are very many people willing to seek out (and pay for)new music online, unless it is created by an artist they are already familiar with.
Dude!

If you ever want a break from snowy Winnipeg, come to rainy Portland and visit CD Baby for a day.

We sell over 2000 albums a day, but the interesting part is that over 1000 of those sales a day are people "just browsing" the site, buying music they hadn't heard of a few minutes earlier.

That's the part that gets me bouncing out of bed in the morning, finding ways to increase that.
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sivers View Post
Dude!

If you ever want a break from snowy Winnipeg, come to rainy Portland and visit CD Baby for a day.

We sell over 2000 albums a day, but the interesting part is that over 1000 of those sales a day are people "just browsing" the site, buying music they hadn't heard of a few minutes earlier.

That's the part that gets me bouncing out of bed in the morning, finding ways to increase that.
I don't think that I have 1 artist that has signed up with CDBaby that hasn't sold at least 1 cd. Most have sold more. Our local music store actually has a clicker to count how many people are coming in to see if it's worth keeping certain hours. This is probably not an isolated trend!

All you have to do is have a teenager around. Ask them if they want a CD player or a iPod? I rest my case.
Old 26th November 2007
Founder, CEO, President - Tunecore

Lack of traffic?!

Carpal Tunnels Syndrome setting in from the amount of attention and questions (and good questions at that!)

It's a pleasure to be here.

Jeff Price
TuneCore
TuneCore: Welcome

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search