The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY monitors question
Old 5th April 2015
Gear Head

DIY monitors question

Hello there,

I am pretty much an amateur when it comes to electronic and speakers. I would like to try to build my own studio monitors. First of all I am not expecting to create replacement for any $500+ monitors (or even cheaper ones). I am just trying to get a solid sounding system* as part of my hobby.

So I read few articles abut DIY studio monitors and also checked some schemes of original studio monitors. I came up with this solution:

Woofer:
80 W/160 W (RMS/Peak)
89 dB
4 Ohm
45 - 3 000 Hz
8''

Tweeter:
50 W/100 W (RMS/Peak)
91 dB
8 Ohm
1 200 - 20 000 Hz
1''

Crossover:
Linkwitz-Riley, Second Order (2 000 Hz)
Tweeter part
L1 = 1.27 mH
C1 = 4.98 uF
Woofer part
L2 = 0.64 mH
C2 = 9.95 uF

My question is. Am I doing anything wrong? Or am I on a good way to build something that would actually sound anything like studio monitors?

*solid sounding system means that anybody who listen to it would say: "Not bad!"
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Head

Do you have any experience in building loudspeakers? (From what you have written it seems you have very little/none)

If you haven't you won't come up with anything sounding good.

If you want to build yourself, buy a kit at madisound or the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasJ View Post
Hello there,

I am pretty much an amateur when it comes to electronic and speakers. I would like to try to build my own studio monitors. First of all I am not expecting to create replacement for any $500+ monitors (or even cheaper ones). I am just trying to get a solid sounding system* as part of my hobby.

So I read few articles abut DIY studio monitors and also checked some schemes of original studio monitors. I came up with this solution:

Woofer:
80 W/160 W (RMS/Peak)
89 dB
4 Ohm
45 - 3 000 Hz
8''

Tweeter:
50 W/100 W (RMS/Peak)
91 dB
8 Ohm
1 200 - 20 000 Hz
1''

Crossover:
Linkwitz-Riley, Second Order (2 000 Hz)
Tweeter part
L1 = 1.27 mH
C1 = 4.98 uF
Woofer part
L2 = 0.64 mH
C2 = 9.95 uF

My question is. Am I doing anything wrong? Or am I on a good way to build something that would actually sound anything like studio monitors?

*solid sounding system means that anybody who listen to it would say: "Not bad!"
Old 15th April 2015
Lives for gear
To get close enough to flat for a monitor the crossover needs to actually be designed based on measurements, especially to account for the acoustic rolloff of the tweeter and the baffle step loss. At a glance you would also need a 2dB pad for the tweeters.

Luckily it can be modeled pretty easy if you take some measurements outside-

Jeff Bagby's Software Page
Old 18th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
To get close enough to flat for a monitor the crossover needs to actually be designed based on measurements, especially to account for the acoustic rolloff of the tweeter and the baffle step loss.
And that is not an easy thing you can do "on the side".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Luckily it can be modeled pretty easy if you take some measurements outside-
Jeff Bagby's Software Page
Same thing. It's not an "pretty easy" task without knowing what exactly to do.

Fortunatly some really experienced peapole have done that an came up with nice DIY kits like this one (it's in german but maybe the best DIY monitor KIT on the market in the moment):
DXT-MON

Great Drivers, ruler flat frequency response - that's what you get from a wide bunch of monitors.
But what you get from this one is an outstanding off-axis behaviour - some thing here on gearslutz nearly everyone is disregarding when talking about a good monitor.

Just my 2c.
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenM View Post
And that is not an easy thing you can do "on the side".

Same thing. It's not an "pretty easy" task without knowing what exactly to do.

Fortunatly some really experienced peapole have done that an came up with nice DIY kits like this one (it's in german but maybe the best DIY monitor KIT on the market in the moment):
DXT-MON

Great Drivers, ruler flat frequency response - that's what you get from a wide bunch of monitors.
But what you get from this one is an outstanding off-axis behaviour - some thing here on gearslutz nearly everyone is disregarding when talking about a good monitor.

Just my 2c.
Agreed it would be hard to beat good kits that are out there, especially for a first time build. I only said the modeling is pretty easy to do in PCD, when properly modeled it gives a first time build a much better chance of being good. And he can definitely put the work in and get something that is "pretty good", and with practice he can do better than that.

On the subject of off axis frequency response I very much agree that too many people disregard that. Check out the monitors I built-

SEOS 24/Radian 951BePb + cardioid boxes - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Mine show 1/12 smoothing on a 5 dB/oct scale out to 180 degrees where the DXT is 1/9 10dB scale only to 90 degrees.
Old 1st June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
DXT-MON

Just my 2c.
These look great! Do you have a pair? I couldn't work out the pricing on the kit - Google translate wasn't behaving. Do you know roughly what the cost is? (with or without cabinets)
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Head

Unfortunately I don't know what Alexander Heissmann charges for the kit - afaik he hasn't officially put them on sale.

You should wrtite him an email an ask him nicely (offer him to advertise them heavily here on gearslutz ))

Just for the chassis check out madisound
Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT
Wavecor WF152BD06
Seas SP18R

All in all it should be less than 1000$ the finished pair.

I do have a pair of DIY SCM25/KH310
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Head

Just for the impression (sorry for the bad quality):
Attached Thumbnails
DIY monitors question-831.jpg  
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know what Alexander Heissmann charges for the kit - afaik he hasn't officially put them on sale.

You should wrtite him an email an ask him nicely (offer him to advertise them heavily here on gearslutz ))

Just for the chassis check out madisound
Seas 27TBCD/GB-DXT
Wavecor WF152BD06
Seas SP18R

All in all it should be less than 1000$ the finished pair.

I do have a pair of DIY SCM25/KH310
Have you tried measuring them? Are you satisfied with your work?
Did you compare them with KH310 or scm25?
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Head

Very satified here.
As they have DSP crossover I can make (and have) them rulerflat at my listening spot.
Very low distortion especially in the critical midrange thanks to the middome.

I did not compare them with the Neumann or ATC directly but measumentwise the are nearly on par for just a fragement of the price.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search