The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod Journal
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Head

And here we go, two 2520 courtesy of Yves. Looking forward to getting these installed asap. Will post pics of said instal when it happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod Journal-img_0069.jpg   Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod Journal-img_0070.jpg   Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod Journal-img_0071.jpg   Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod Journal-img_0072.jpg  
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Head

This console is now for sale in classified and also on eBay. Absolute bargain.

Tac Scorpion Refurb/Mod JournalTAC Scorpion 16/8/2 Recording Console | eBay
Old 18th April 2016
Here for the gear
Could anyone tell me if Purple Audio's 2 Bus upgrade card would fit inside a TAC Scorpion II? Anyone try that?
Also, could anyone tell me what the drop on resistor value is for a 16/8/2 TAC SCorpion II?
I don't have the schematic.
Thanks,
Old 7th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatwulf View Post
And here we go, two 2520 courtesy of Yves. Looking forward to getting these installed asap. Will post pics of said instal when it happens.
The api 2520 upgrade sounds better than aml's upgrade?

I need the best sound for mixing on the console.

Thanks
Old 21st September 2016
Here for the gear
Ribbons

Anyone have insight into replacing the ribbon cables/connectors? I can't seem to find the name for the exact cable... I have a similar problem in that these ribbons have broken connections at the ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

These parts are available at audiomaintenance.com
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Sorry but we no longer stock the cables/connectors.... Molex no longer manufacture the cable.

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

That´s bad news.
With some effort a ribbon wire can be customized to fit into these connectors. Hopefully they are still available.
Old 10th October 2016
Here for the gear
Damn... I'm considering possibly decommissioning an input module and reusing the ribbon from that... I guess I'll have to sit and wait until someone parts one of these out... Very frustrating.
Old 15th October 2016
Here for the gear

Got a mod question for a Scorpion II that I'm hoping someone has some insight on:

I've been using the buss section of the console as summing from my DAW (using the tape/fx inputs), but apparently I can't use the inserts on the busses when using the tape/FX input. I'd like to use outboard compression or other processing in this manner, but it seems as if the board is not configured that way (send of the insert before the tape/FX switch??). Does anyone out there know of a modification for a S3301 buss to change the send point in the circuit to enable inserts with the tape/fx inputs?
Old 15th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheiblett View Post
Damn... I'm considering possibly decommissioning an input module and reusing the ribbon from that... I guess I'll have to sit and wait until someone parts one of these out... Very frustrating.
I made a punch down tool to salvage some cracked up and broken ribbon cables in my console.l, enabling me to just cut the cable back from the broken spot, and re-punch into the connector. Just cut a notch in a flat head screw driver with a dremel, and it'll get the job done.
Old 15th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStrange View Post
Got a mod question for a Scorpion II that I'm hoping someone has some insight on:

I've been using the buss section of the console as summing from my DAW (using the tape/fx inputs), but apparently I can't use the inserts on the busses when using the tape/FX input. I'd like to use outboard compression or other processing in this manner, but it seems as if the board is not configured that way (send of the insert before the tape/FX switch??). Does anyone out there know of a modification for a S3301 buss to change the send point in the circuit to enable inserts with the tape/fx inputs?
[QUOTE=RealStrange;12196721]Got a mod question for a Scorpion II that I'm hoping someone has some insight on:

No need to mod yr S3301's.. you've just entered the mixer, you could insert what you want on yr way there (just go via/through outboard that you'd want to insert) before you enter the Tape/Fx in's.

Or you might be better served coming back from tape via the line in's instead of Tape/FX,, then you can re-trim, re-eq (with a full eq), INSERT, Aux & send, group & send to yr compressors or FX, .. THEN return via yr TAPE/FX returns & sum via the L&R master buss (the way you wanted). I prefer to group on the console, instead of grouping ITB. I've got a scorpion II also. Never really bother with the inserts, I just go via the stuff I'd want to insert while I'm on my way somewhere anyway.

If you're super keen to mod something though, I'd recommend "the balancing mod" for your 2001, 4001 & 3301 modules. PM me if you want detailed notes & schematics for it Love my Scorp II
Old 12th June 2017
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Nairobijones;12626413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStrange View Post

No need to mod yr S3301's.. you've just entered the mixer, you could insert what you want on yr way there (just go via/through outboard that you'd want to insert) before you enter the Tape/Fx in's.

Or you might be better served coming back from tape via the line in's instead of Tape/FX,, then you can re-trim, re-eq (with a full eq), INSERT, Aux & send, group & send to yr compressors or FX, .. THEN return via yr TAPE/FX returns & sum via the L&R master buss (the way you wanted). I prefer to group on the console, instead of grouping ITB. I've got a scorpion II also. Never really bother with the inserts, I just go via the stuff I'd want to insert while I'm on my way somewhere anyway.
I get that. Different way of achieving the same thing, I suppose.

Quote:
If you're super keen to mod something though, I'd recommend "the balancing mod" for your 2001, 4001 & 3301 modules. PM me if you want detailed notes & schematics for it Love my Scorp II
I am extremely interested in that, and I PMed you already. What's the scoop on the balancing mod?
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

Can anyone here help me please with identifying the values of some missing caps on my scorpion's master strip S4000 ???

its 15 CAPS together, marked with following:

C1 - C2 - C7 - C8 - C9 - C10 - C15 - C16 - C29- C30 - C38 - C39 - C42 - C43 - C47

yes and i think all of them should be 10uF/50V ....as according to the Scorpion Recap PDF file from AML(audiomaintenance) all the other caps (2u2,22uF,100uF,220uF) are in exact amount on the master strip PCB ....

Can anyone please confirm this before i set up an order for the caps ?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

I'm about to get one of those consoles.
tried it today... Seems to be fine.
those mods here are something. So you know you're not stuck with a certain quality level. Please try to keep this thread going.
Everybody with advice please chime in...

Best
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search