The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft 200B project form a designers point of view.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Chips! I forgot to include the types of the small signal transistors.

I used the 2SC2389 and the 2SA1038. Both 50 m.a transistors.
They aren't in production anymore.
I think the KSA 992 and the KSC1845 would be perfect too.

For the headers I used MOLEX 3 pin with spacing 2/10 inch.
I use soldering for connection: better than the female part that goes with the male part on the PCB.

For the drivers T7&T8 it would be better to use the 2SC2705(Y) and the 2SA1145(Y) for dissipation reasons. Unfortunately both not in production anymore. If you want to look yourself for replacement of these "elongated TO92" transistors look for a low Cob and low current capability.

It is really a shame that many outstanding transistors like the last mentioned are not produced anymore.

Of course I have many hundreds lying around here, but I would't like to add an commercial aspect to this. (perhaps not allowed here also)
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Some more about the regulator: The focal point was to get a good PSRR and a regulator that is "at ease" with the load at it's output.
I didn't want capacitors or elcaps have an influence on the sound, so safe for the 33pF it doesn't uses any elcaps in the regulator.

About the raw power supply for lets say the 1.2A maximum: first elcaps pair 10,000 mu would be more than enough, 4.700 could be used too I guess.(the latter only when using chokes) As for the transformer I would recommend an old fashioned E I core lamination transformer, preferably with two winding chambers.
Use fast soft recovery diodes. Do NOT use decoupling caps over the elcaps.
Using a choke the second pair of elcaps could be in the same ball park as mentioned values.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting. So 1.2 A @ +/- 17.5V is the maximum for this supply?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

The power supply in this shape and form yes.

Provided enough cooling for the serial devices and lowering the 0.5R to about 0.25R the power supply could deliver 2A.
Dissipation in the 0.25R will call for a 2W device.

Higher voltages would also be possible changing resistor values.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Try to upload a better picture of the schematics
Attached Thumbnails
Soundcraft 200B project form a designers point of view.-sr1-new1.jpg  
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Raising (or lowering) output voltage:

Let's say output voltage increases with 20%, you raise R2/R16/R28 and R1/R20/R27 with about the same amount of percentage.

Output current is solely depended on the R6 and R7 "current sensing" resistors. Lower the same amount as the % of higher wanted maximum current output.

T7 and T8 dissipation will be higher with higher current and voltage, so 300 mW will be often not enough, use 800 mW or so in these cases. and of course you will have to pay attention to the dissipation of the series TO220 device (transistor), including watching the max. current specs of this transistor.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Maniac

As I haven't looked into this regulator for a couple of years, I decided to have a closer look again doing some computer simulation in MicroCap 9 pro.
+3dB point of the PSRR of an LM317 regulator is about 2.2 KHz, from this regulator somewhat above 100KHz...
Peak in phase shift between input and output are 15 KHz and 1.2 MHz respectively.

Furthermore: the base current of the serial transistor subtracts of course from the current of the current source providing the bias for the driver transistor. So when using larger output currents R3 and R4 may have to been lowered to provide the right bias current for the driver transistor.

If the power supply isn't loaded all the current from the bias current source (D2, T1, R4 for the positive side) flows through T8. This will lead to roughly 160 mW in dissipation. So, after all it would be possible to use 300 mW transistors for T8 and T7, even if we lower R3 and R4 to remain enough bias at larger output currents than 1A.
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi there,
I've been following this post from long time ago and I have to say that it helps me a lot with the mods I'm doing in my SC 200B, thank you so much for sharing so detailed info and experience. The sound of this nice desk is getting pretty good, at least for my needs

I have a question about the Dale resistors, I have ordered the RN60 1/4 W for the Master section, it is alright or they should be 1W? does it make any difference.

Thank you so much in advance.
Agus
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustindavid View Post
Hi there,
I've been following this post from long time ago and I have to say that it helps me a lot with the mods I'm doing in my SC 200B, thank you so much for sharing so detailed info and experience. The sound of this nice desk is getting pretty good, at least for my needs

I have a question about the Dale resistors, I have ordered the RN60 1/4 W for the Master section, it is alright or they should be 1W? does it make any difference.

Thank you so much in advance.
Agus
Hi there, Thank you very much, it is great to know you are benefiting from what I wrote.

1/4 W is fine! the RN60 is the mil spec version of CMF60, which if I recall it right is specified at even 1/2 W, so no sweat.
Old 5th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
Hi there, Thank you very much, it is great to know you are benefiting from what I wrote.

1/4 W is fine! the RN60 is the mil spec version of CMF60, which if I recall it right is specified at even 1/2 W, so no sweat.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help and asure you that your post about the SC 200B has been, and still is, my main source of tech information for my own 200B. Thanks to you now it starts to sound in another level!

Big thanks, man!
Best,
Agus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search