The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
La3a 500 Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 17th July 2013
500 series nutjob

I would be interested in one just for the heck out it depending on cost.
What was his emil?
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
What was his emil?
sent pm
Old 17th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
What was his emil?
READ MY POST: I quoted his email reply verbatim. £150 for the kit but that doesn't include everything. There are more parts to acquire, likely pots, knobs, T4 opto cell and transformers. I think it'll still be well under $500 for a completed LA3a.

So I'm on the list for a pair! It'll make me get a 500 chassis - something long overdue anyhow.
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
READ MY POST: I quoted his email reply verbatim. £150 for the kit but that doesn't include everything. There are more parts to acquire, likely pots, knobs, T4 opto cell and transformers. I think it'll still be well under $500 for a completed LA3a.

So I'm on the list for a pair! It'll make me get a 500 chassis - something long overdue anyhow.
So a bit under a grand for a pair that link? That's a good deal if they feel extremely close to the real thing.
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies guys!! Count me as interested, but broke right now. I have a couple of odds and ends to sell, so soon!
-e
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm down for a pair if not two pair!
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Add me for 2 please!!! Thanks!!! This is exciting.
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

Morning you lot,
As my e-mail is popping, I thought I'd answer a few questions here.

The kit is only what you see in the photograph. The pcb set, 500 series metalwork, VU meter and 4 switches. YOU have to source ALL the other parts. I do not do a complete kit, so don't ask.

The pcb is double sided and has gold plated edge connectors. The extra bit on the connector is for a snug fit in the 51X enclosure, but that can be cut off for standard API stuff.

I can order the face plate in any colour (black seems to be favourite), but I will NOT put another company's logo on it. I'd be in court in a flash.

As with all group orders, a common phrase is "stick me down for a pair". Half of those who say it never come through and I can't afford to carry stock in this climate, so with that in mind I'm going to need payment up front for half the needed 25 before I stick an order in.
If we don't hit 12 after a week, I'll return your funds.

As the meters have to come from China, delivery will be 21 days minimum from when the order goes in. If you're an impatient sort, I'll be posting regularly on progress.

The kit will be £155 GBP including international signed for postage.
The first 6 paid for will get a free EL panel for the T4B section.

If you're OK with all that, send your hard earned to [email protected]

Cheers
peter
Attached Thumbnails
La3a 500-3akit2.jpg  
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Peter,

Great looking kit! Well done.

Out of curiosity...who is the meter supplier?

Brad
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Brad,
The last lot I got from jims_audio on ebay,

peter
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete L-A-Z View Post
Hi Brad,
The last lot I got from jims_audio on ebay,

peter
Peter, could a list of the best components and suppliers you can think of be included with the kit so we can go about sourcing whatever parts we need?
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

Here's a BOM to get you started http://lazpro.com/LA3ABOM.xls , but I wouldn't buy anything just yet... there might not be an order.
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

Also... familiarise yourself with what you might be getting into in this thread.
LA3A 500 BUILD
Old 17th July 2013
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

I am the tech who built the pair at the beginning of this thread for KDE. I will be joining the lot of you in building a pair for myself this go round, as I was too late during the first run. There is a build thread over on Group DIY that anyone interested in building these should probably read first.

LA3A 500 BUILD

If anyone is interested in fully built, calibrated and tested units, I'm the guy to talk to. Please understand that this build will take time. The parts are sourced all over the world, and I have my usual business to tend to as well so I can't just drop everything to knock these out. Building the pair for KDE took over 50 hours from start to finish. Just populating the boards is only a fraction of what was involved. Repeating this process will no doubt be easier and faster now that the kinks have been worked out and the research has been done. Expect the parts cost to be at least $500 (including the kits), possibly $600+ depending on some of the harder to source parts. I'm not sure what to charge for labor yet, it will depend on how many I'm building. The more I build, the less I'll charge, as we'll all be able to share some of the costs. Let's just say for now that it will be not exceed $500 per channel in labor. If I'm building a bunch, I'll be able to knock it down considerably. All in all, I would expect completed units will be somewhere in the $1000ish ballpark, which is still about half the price of a UA unit, and it will fit in your 500 rack.

For those of you who want to get dirty with the rest of us and DIY, I will be present on the build thread to help with your questions. Cheers,
Nelson
Old 18th July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurelletson View Post
What transformer do you use in the side chain circuit? I looked into DIY ing one but could not find much
Info on it. Labeled T4 in the attached schematic.
Hairball Audio
Old 19th July 2013
Here for the gear

Just in case I scared anyone with that whole 50 hours bit... That was because I had to sort all that stuff on my own 3 years after the original build. I have all the info you guys need. If we do another run, I will be happy to release part numbers and hardware lists so you guys can buy the right stuff the first time out and have a nice smooth build. I will be available on the Group DIY thread to answer questions and I'm sure Peter will too, he was a huge help during my build. Sure, this is a challenging build, but you can do it. If you've ever built a 2520 DOA, you'll be able to handle the soldering. There are some tips and tricks you'll need but I've got you covered. You will all have the benefit of my experience. If you don't want/have time to do your own build, I'll do it for you at a fair price. Peter needs a handful of you to prepay for your kits to cover his backside so he can get the kits manufactured. Let's do this!
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I'm still interested in getting 2 units made. I definitely don't have the skill set to put them together myself.
Old 22nd July 2013
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,
I just ordered a channel last night and got an email from peter saying that I was only the 3rd person who paid for one. If you guys are waiting for this to happen, it might not. So if you are waiting for it to become a reality before you order I think you need to order now and make the run of LA3A become a reality. You can't wait for other people to do it. Please place you order and make it a reality asap.

Thanks
Scott
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Glad to find this thread...

Does anybody compare it to UREI or UA?? Is the differance huge?
Old 1st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Glad to find this thread...

Does anybody compare it to UREI or UA?? Is the differance huge?
Have yet to do a shootout but from my own experience with LA-3A's I'd say the 3A 500 leans more toward the UREI vintage sound than the reissue and is somewhere between them sonically. I'd say it doesn't have the complete vintage grit but it not as clean as the reissue sonically. Another poster on Groupdiy mentioned that he sold off his UA Reissues after building some 3A 500's because they sounded better. But that his opinion so take it for a grain of salt.
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Head

There is a pre order for a final run on these units over at Groupdiy!

If you want to get in on it you need to send your payment to Peter asap.
Old 14th November 2013
you'll probably be better off giving people a link if you want them to sign up. Anyways good luck their great units can't recommend them enough.

Laz Pro LA3A 500 series FINAL RUN GROUP ORDER PreOrder SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY
Old 26th November 2013
I want one so bad but there is no way in hell I could build it. Botched a VOLUME boost guitar pedal a month ago...
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Head

Is this still an active thread?
I just came across it and I'm very interested in these 500 series LA3A units.

Someone let me know.
Thanks.
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

I know this is years old but if another batch happens to be in the works, you can put me down for 2
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search