The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
alesis 3630 mod REV D Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

alesis 3630 mod REV D

here is a pic of a alesis 3630 Mod im working on for the Rev D boards.

the threshold pots now have a switch that cuts the gate out of the circuit. I added beefer caps throughout and some upgraded opamps complete the mod.

this version already had THAT Chips installed
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Just did some samples of the 3630 mod and put it through its paces got it stereo matched to .2db through the spectrum

https://soundcloud.com/doulos/sets/3630-mod you will want to download these to hear it
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

I've been modding a Rev. D 3630 as well, and I have to say it sounds pretty darn good. I was expecting the stock compressor to completely suck, but it wasn't that bad. Then I beefed up the power supply, snipped the gates, swapped op amps, replaced some caps, and adjusted the release timing. In about half an hour I transformed this thing into something that actually sounds really good. I'll be bold and say that has a more pleasing tone than a Distressor to my ears. This is likely due to there being only a couple op amps, a VCA, and one coupling cap in the audio signal path.

Are you changing any resistor values in the detector circuit? I have yet to do that myself.

Brad
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

I didn't see a need to they sounded great for the money.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

schematic?

Does anyone have a schematic for the 3630?

Alesis support won't cough up the schematic. They say I have to send it to an authorized repair shop, even though I'm perfectly fine with voiding warranties.

Feel free to PM me if you're more comfortable with that. Thanks!
Old 26th October 2014
Gear Maniac

For a fee, these guys can take your 3630, reverse-engineer it, and draw you a clear schematic of it.
Old 30th May 2015
Here for the gear
(Lazy question here) Do you have a part number for the switched potentiometers? Mouser generally bewilders me
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jinn View Post
(Lazy question here) Do you have a part number for the switched potentiometers? Mouser generally bewilders me
nope i got them at radioshack for 4 bucks each.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbor View Post
Does anyone have a schematic for the 3630?

Alesis support won't cough up the schematic. They say I have to send it to an authorized repair shop, even though I'm perfectly fine with voiding warranties.

Feel free to PM me if you're more comfortable with that. Thanks!
Its only one channel but enough to do repairs. Ive only ever seen front end rectifiers/caps/regs go in them because of stupidity (incorrect power). Sure, you can cut the gates out but I can never hear the difference, the mods are pretty pointless IMO. Would I run a mix through them? No... ... but I love these compressors. For dance oriented drums, they are great, they pump just right to my ears.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
alesis 3630 mod REV D-alesis_compressor_3630f_sch.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search