The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 128 Mods
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Dbx 128 Mods

just a few pics of a dbx128 I recapped & modded

Im running LME49710NA opamps on the singles and ne5532s on the duals pretty clean beefed up the psu caps from 470uf to 1000uf as well.
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

I noticed a low level hum in the unit and decided to keep modding it

pulled the transformer out and made my own diy wall wart supply now its very quiet with a self noise of -108db at -6db on the meters
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Where did you used the LME Opamps? Did you bypassed them?

How and which Powersupply did you used?

I have a Problem with my DBX, one of these boards is defective. One of the boards with the red caps next to the transformer. I cross changed them and so i know that one of them is defective. But i dont know what is defective. There is no Signal coming from board. Any Ideas? I thought that one of the transistors or maybe the tba331 could be defective. Any tip how i could find it out?
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

id check the tantalum caps first. I had to change every one in mine. The opamp I picked is pretty mild and unity stable so it didn't need bypassing. I also pulled the noise reduction cards from mine which made it a dbx 118 in all reality.
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

mine had some issues. the tantalumns were fu**ed up. changed them with panasonic fc series. Recapped the PSU. Then there was an defective Transistor Array on one of the cards. Now it works. Only problem is when i switch between linear and above threshold... the linear sounds **** on the first hit of the basedrum... dont know if this is normal or if there is something ****ed up. I changed 2 of the opamps for ne5532. I was thinking for swapping them with opa2134 which i like soundwise. LME49710NA they sound very clean and accurate, i like them but maybe not the right choice for a coloring box...

From what i can say after a few tries, this box makes a fatter sound. Nice for Drums and also for Bass and Musical Material. The good thing is i can switch to -10dbv on my interface so i can sent the right signal to it....

How do you use it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

parallel processing on the drum bus and on the bass, but most of the time I'm using the dbx 163x for the bass.
Old 7th January 2019
Here for the gear

This is my modded DBX 128 project. It has true bypass, 1/4 jacks, input and output gain control, attack and release control, an upgraded power supply, and a side chain input.

This is my modded DBX 128 project. It has true bypass, 1/4 jacks, input and output gain control, attack and release control, an upgraded power supply, and a side chain input.
Attached Thumbnails
Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161732.jpg   Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161759.jpg   Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161717.jpg   Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161759.jpg   Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161717.jpg  

Dbx 128 Mods-20190106_161732.jpg  

Last edited by Synth Guru; 13th January 2019 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Same thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search