The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DbX 163 Mod
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

DbX 163 Mod

here Is my latest project a simple upgrade to the DBX 163x Compressor.

Mods:
some of these Mod ideas come from Jim Williams thanks Jim

I rebuilt the PSU. C28, C29 I used 1000uf caps c33, c37 100uf 35v caps. I changed all the .01 ceramic caps & replaced the 100pf caps. The .1uf filter cap was replaced. I switched the vca to a THAT 2180A and then I removed the trim section R9, R10. Then I changed the op-amps out. Duals I went with ne5532's. The LF353n I went with OPA2134 and I also removed cap C1. I'm pretty happy with it. This cleaned up the compressor a lot. I included the schematic for anyone who wants to mod this compressor.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76510585/163X.jpg
Old 25th February 2014
Woww....
Nice Mod...
Do you have audio test before/after mod?..
Regards...
Old 13th May 2014
Here for the gear

Yummee. Many thanx for the PDF . Awesome
Old 13th May 2014
Some audio files there?
Old 1st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
here Is my latest project a simple upgrade to the DBX 163x Compressor.

Mods:
some of these Mod ideas come from Jim Williams thanks Jim

I rebuilt the PSU. C28, C29 I used 1000uf caps c33, c37 100uf 35v caps. I changed all the .01 ceramic caps & replaced the 100pf caps. The .1uf filter cap was replaced. I switched the vca to a THAT 2180A and then I removed the trim section R9, R10. Then I changed the op-amps out. Duals I went with ne5532's. The LF353n I went with OPA2134 and I also removed cap C1. I'm pretty happy with it. This cleaned up the compressor a lot. I included the schematic for anyone who wants to mod this compressor.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/76510585/163X.jpg

Thanks so much for posting that schematic. I was very confused using the schematic from the DBX site in their service manual. All the component designations are different in that one.

Peace
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search