The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help needed with this mysterious mixer
Old 17th April 2011
Help needed with this mysterious mixer

As Dr. Nick Rivera would have said:

"Hello everybody!"

I recently scored this interesting looking little mixer which turned out to be quite the amazing sounding piece. It's an old 9 (!) channel Philips mixer which seems to have been intended for broadcasting related tasks.
It's designed without a bottom panel, obviously to lower it into a studio desk.
Balanced XLR in/out line & Mic, Neutrik input transformers and some unknown output transformers. Each channel with a simple 3 band eq, plus locut at 120hz.
The master channels has a switchable limiter with it, unfortunately the left/right balance is completely off when engaging this.
I would LOVE to fix the limiter-issue as well as be able to either repair or upgrade other bits & parts inside, but there is literally no info whatsoever about this mixer anywhere.
Also there are two fuses missing in the PSU, but the mixer works nonetheless - wondering if those might be for Phantom-powering?
No switches for that anywhere though (apart from those mysterious grey push buttons on the back panel)

The name of it is Sound Mix-5, made in Holland and the Modell Nr. is LBB 1147/00

I really hope that somebody here either knows this one, has a schematic or actually any further info on this. It would be so helpful!

The sound so far is amazing, very low noise level, thick eq and nice saturation when pushing it...

Oh, and of course there was a mummified spider in it. My third so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_top.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_top2.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_io.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_gutz.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_gutz2.jpg  

Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_gutz3.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_input_xformer.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_output_xformer.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_serial.jpg  
Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

I'm curious about this one as well! Anyone?
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Have you tried contacting Philips? I'm sure they'll have a manual floating around somewhere.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

"LBB" definitely points to Philips.
They used this identification for a lot of professional equipment.
Old 22nd April 2011
Thanks a lot for your feedback - I actually just chatted with philips customer support, but of course they've never heard of it, nor know who to contact concerning discontinued products....
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

This should be a very easy to fix straight-forward design since there´s no too much electronics inside. Recap the cards where the limiters are located and then check again what´s up. On the pictures I can see quite a bunch of tantalum caps which may be prone to failure regarding the age of the desk.
Old 22nd April 2011
Danke für den Tip!

I was actually not aware that Tantalum caps are prone to age-related failure as well... Will check via successive recapping and see what happens.

What I like about this mixer is just that - that it is not overcrowded with components. With these things less is more
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

maybe its a not so old live event board...rock on.
Old 22nd March 2012
update

Almost a year has passed and finally I've had the time to recap and thoroughly clean this mixer. I did not modify anything, nor did I add any polyprop bypass caps. Just wanted to hear how it sounded using fresh / high grade capacitors (the usual panasonic fc/fm as well as some rubycons,plus Wimas in the EQ section). Did not swap any of those 5534 opamps either as it didn't really seem necessary.

The limiter stereo tracking issue has been fixed as well, playing with the trimpots underneath (learning is fun) which adjust the release time.

Verdict:

I am blown away. There is no noise to really speak of, feeding padded line-signals to the mic-preamps going through those neutrik transformers, pushing them a bit on the way in and out adds a wonderful, almost tape-like saturation/compression effect that can be pushed quite far before it starts to get too crunchy.
And setting the limiter to fastest release turns it into a heavy drums-smashing compressor!

Since EQ and Aux-Sends are bypassable this mixer can be VERY clean.

I wonder what the Phoenix Nicerizer does to a signal, but if it's character is anywhere around the same ball park as this little mixer's - oh well, I could save the money then.

It's only got 9 Channels, no phantom power and doesn't look too sexy, but I warrrrmly recommend this as a very potent colorbox/summing unit, that is if you can find one.

And now back to the program.
Attached Thumbnails
Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_top2.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips_top.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips3.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips2.jpg   Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips5.jpg  

Help needed with this mysterious mixer-philips4.jpg  
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

Hi
I own one of this from 1990,and still works very well.I know that I have a photocopy of the user manual with specs,etc...
If you are still interested,I will try to locate it and do a scan.

Best regards from Spain
Old 23rd June 2017
Here for the gear

Mixer not working.

Hi cuebism, I also have a mix-5 and now I have a problem, I have no output signal (on XLR) instead on the headphone jack I signal. I asked on the site if anyone still has a manual or electric diagram yet nobody answers. I just opened the whole mixer to begin troubleshooting, longer work without schematic but I think I'll manage.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

I just have sent you a P.M.
Old 26th June 2017
Here for the gear

Tnks Studerfreak, I wrote you.
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear

Philips service manual

Hi all

The service manual is here:

http://www.sterremuur.nl/manuals/Mix.../LBB1147SM.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search