The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynamix 3000 input modules Dynamic Microphones
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Nice!

I need something like this for my Wheatstone strips!

How much did it cost you to make that metal box? Are you going to have the PSU internal? Or are you going to have it external? How are you addressing grounding?

Peace
Illumination
Ill do a starground to an aluminum block or angle aluminum. I work as a fabricator so Im doing this on my lunch break, Im using the remnant metal we have lying around. Its all aluminum, .080" and .125" thick.

PSU, I might use a JLM Powerstation, with a 63va transformer. Most likely external, so Ill have to make another box.

I have about 3 hours invested in it so far. Still going.
Old 29th August 2011
Gear Addict

Well, 2 of my strips are with Dave Gallo.
He's Doing-
An Eq mod
Changinging some resistors to metal film
fixing the pad circuit
wima caps for the eq
Changing the ICs
and Installing a Jensen JT-110 Transformer

He's basically giving me a template to copy.

Im going to do one more strip with the Jensen and the try Cinemags CMMI-8 tranny.
Dave from cinemag is a very nice fellow, I talked o him on the phone.
He said that The CMMI-8 is they're equivilent to the JT-110.
Really looking forwad to getting this project going!
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

wow, sounds great.
i would love to see some pictures of the modded channels once they are fnished.

Could you record some before and after audio files...i´d love to hear how the jensen changes the sound.

cheers
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
wow, sounds great.
i would love to see some pictures of the modded channels once they are fnished.

Could you record some before and after audio files...i´d love to hear how the jensen changes the sound.

cheers
I will,
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

I just finished up the wiring harnes for the power, pots, and ground. Im going to test it out on some stock strips.

The wiring harness wass the hardest part so far.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

I know there are better ICs out there in soic format but Im trying to fing DIP

Im looking at the opa2134 for the EQs
The fader LME49720

But Im sticking with the opa1611 for the 5534

I might try the opa1642 for the eqs even though its soic
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Im having a problem with the power supply. Im getting roughly 3 volts on the positive supply, -9volts on the negative supply, the phantom supply is showing something like -69v, and Im also getting a slight voltage on the ground.

I just bought a +-24 v Power One supply HCC24-2.4-A on ebay for $40 bucks and Ill pick one for the +48v from digikey to run this 8 channel project.

What a bummer
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear Addict

Painted

Still waiting for some parts to finish this project. But here is the case painted.

If you are doing any diy projects, and dont have the funds to powder coat or anodize.
The Rustolem Hammered finished paint is durable, thick , and easy to apply. Use a good self etching primer before hand.
I had to chemically treat (alodine) the aluminum to etch it for paint adheision.
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamix 3000 input modules-img_1230.jpg   Dynamix 3000 input modules-img_1231.jpg   Dynamix 3000 input modules-img_1232.jpg   Dynamix 3000 input modules-img_1233.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

wow man, you are extremely talented.
I wish i had your technical skills.
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear Addict

Thanx Alexi,
The Guy who taught me is way passed me at work. This is my 11th year of fabricating, and I could always improve. It took a lot of beating on me to get to this point.

Im just about finished with modding the strips. Dave Gallo did alot more to them than I thought, all the way down to severing some traces on the back of the PCB and bridging them else where.

We talked about diiferent ICs, But he uses DIP format ICs instead of the extra cost of soic on adapters.
Not saying his solution is the only one, but it kept the cost down abit, and every one who has a dynamix modded by him seems to really like them.

There were three choices.
1- Jensen JT-110 or JT115 tranny
2- The transformerless card with a video IC
3- High Speed Mic Card

Supprisingly he said only 2 channels of his 24 channel board had transformers, and that he used them mainly for protools playback.
He used his High speed Mic card and the transformerless card for most of his application.
A couple of the electro caps were bridged on the strips.

So 6 of my strips are transformerless card. The other two wil have transformers.
I might go with the Cinemag Cmmi-8 or the Jensen JT-110.
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Addict

Just ordered 2 Cinemag CMMI-8 Trannys!
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Please please PLEASE let me know what you have done and how much (ballpark) it cost, as I am *clueless* when it comes to modding boards, and I have a Dynamix 3000 24:8:1(it was modified to a single stereo main)

I have some modules that were worked on by Jim Williams (there's stickers on it) and I believe Dave Gallo had some work on it as well. Picked it up from Scot Alexander (of Dishwalla). I just don't know where to start. I really need to give this board some TLC. I've had it for about 3 years now, and have recorded one track through it! lol

Feelin' motivated, and I have money to spend. Thanks for any input!
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry I havent replied, I put the dynamixes to the side, about 100 more bucks and I can finish these.
If you have Dave Gallo modded or Jim williams modded ones, just copy what they did.
I bought two cinemag cmmi-8 trannies but I just have not finished the project yet.
Hopefully soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
Please please PLEASE let me know what you have done and how much (ballpark) it cost, as I am *clueless* when it comes to modding boards, and I have a Dynamix 3000 24:8:1(it was modified to a single stereo main)

I have some modules that were worked on by Jim Williams (there's stickers on it) and I believe Dave Gallo had some work on it as well. Picked it up from Scot Alexander (of Dishwalla). I just don't know where to start. I really need to give this board some TLC. I've had it for about 3 years now, and have recorded one track through it! lol

Feelin' motivated, and I have money to spend. Thanks for any input!
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

Dynamix and Dave Gallo contact?

Hi... how is teh Dynamix projects ??

Hey "the Convicted"... any chance you could put me in contact with Dave Gallo, I have dynamix 3000 channel strips piled up here and could use a good template channel to re-build my desk. Im thinking to just re-cap and maybe add the newer TLE2072 from texas instruments ( straight swap). However if there is some eq mods ect that make the sweeps and sound more accurate im definately interested...

Richard.
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hi... how is teh Dynamix projects ??

Hey "the Convicted"... any chance you could put me in contact with Dave Gallo, I have dynamix 3000 channel strips piled up here and could use a good template channel to re-build my desk. Im thinking to just re-cap and maybe add the newer TLE2072 from texas instruments ( straight swap). However if there is some eq mods ect that make the sweeps and sound more accurate im definately interested...

Richard.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Addict

Just ordered the rest of the resistors and ICs i needed. Maybe another week and a half to finish!
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Hard drive studios in north hollywood has a highly modified dynamix that rocks.
I think dean jensen jim williams and dave gallo all have had a hand in that thing.
Stereo buss has great headroom.
I am sure the mods are part of dave gallo's cocktail that he makes.
Anyways, like that.
Old 30th August 2012
That would be Doug Messenger's place. His 48 channel Dynamix is heavily modified. The mic preamps are Audio Upgrades baby cards, the EQ is rebuilt.
The master sum amps were removed and replaced with my sum amp cards, it's very quiet, clear and fast. He has Stevens 24 track machines and a couple of hot-rodded Echoplate II's.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

My dynamix had both Dave, and Jim's hands on it. :D

So old. It needs a lot of love... Poor console. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 19th February 2013
Here for the gear

Hi,
(excuse me for my english)
I'm a french boy and I have recently found a Dynamix 3000 console.
Anyone can have the Manufacturer Part Number of the BELCLERE OXFORD Transformer of the input module? I want to replace the existing little card by the OEP Transformers for improve the sound.

See photos
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamix 3000 input modules-img-20130219-00317.jpg  
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Addict

Hey Sonoman222,

I dont have any info on the Belclere tranny.

There are some mods that allow you to replace that for a Jensen JE 115 or a Cinemag CMMI-8. The way Dave Gallo did it, it looks like he had to change and add some resistors to the circuit.

I started this project ,wow almost 2 years ago. I have 2 channels in Daves shop right now that he is modded for me and is getting them running (I did something wrong).

When all my strips are done, Ill start a new thread with sound samples and my modding procedures.

You'll have to send your strips to Jim Williams or Dave Gallo for their mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman222 View Post
Hi,
(excuse me for my english)
I'm a french boy and I have recently found a Dynamix 3000 console.
Anyone can have the Manufacturer Part Number of the BELCLERE OXFORD Transformer of the input module? I want to replace the existing little card by the OEP Transformers for improve the sound.

See photos
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Addict

Rob S

Thank You for putting me in touch with Dave Again!
Old 16th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convicted View Post
Hey Sonoman222,

I dont have any info on the Belclere tranny.

There are some mods that allow you to replace that for a Jensen JE 115 or a Cinemag CMMI-8. The way Dave Gallo did it, it looks like he had to change and add some resistors to the circuit.

I started this project ,wow almost 2 years ago. I have 2 channels in Daves shop right now that he is modded for me and is getting them running (I did something wrong).

When all my strips are done, Ill start a new thread with sound samples and my modding procedures.

You'll have to send your strips to Jim Williams or Dave Gallo for their mods.
ok thanks
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Addict

Last night, I got my 8 channel box going.
I still have to wire pots to 4 more channels in the harness and then Im done.

with just a shure beta 57 I tested

-recapped stock channel

-modified channel with an OPA1611 in the ebi card, Lme49710 in IC2, and Lme49720. All cap values raised, some bypassed with .1uf wimas, a couple capps eliminated.

The stock channel did not sound bad, very useable.
The modded channel, made the stock channel sound dark in comparison, it was very clear and represented the source I belive more faithfully.

When I have a chance to do a full test in a controlled enviorment I will post some files.
The nice thing about the strips, there is many options on modding.
So I can have 2 channels of this, 2 channels of that.
very cool.
Old 4th January 2014
Here for the gear

Lightbulb Output transformer for sub-groups modules

Hi,

I would like to get help because I'm lost ...

My console outputs are unbalanced, and I wish I could find a transformer balanced, but I have no idea which one to choose. There is a empty slot...

It is noted on the schematic "optional transformer"

Thanks,

Maxime
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dynamix_3000_subgrou.pdf (885.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 19th January 2014
Here for the gear

Wima caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convicted View Post
I already started modding 2 channels, with wima caps on the eq, 1000uf/25v Panasonic FMs on the power supply rails
AD8510 in IC 2
OPA1612 in IC 1 and 3
LME49720 in IC 4

All local decoupling was done as well

Need to get some more El caps
Im also looking at the Cinemag 75101 as an input transformer, to purcahse.

Im gonna make a 10x4x2 tracking/summing mixer for now. I m gonna store the rest of the board and work on it as I go. I dont have need for that big of a board,but I might in the future.

I also contacted Dave Gallo. He's going to mod the master for me.
What are the Wima reference of the C23, C24, C25, C26 ? on the input modules?

Regards,

Maxime
Old 24th January 2014
Here for the gear

Hi guys

Just picked up a Dynamix console 16:8:2
Seems used but in general ok shape, although some pots need changing (sticky /treacly or ceased). One of each part e.g gain for preamp, Eq' auxiliary etc... all on different strips.

Unfortunately my console is not made up of module strips, so I basically have to cut through wires to release the strips to change pots.

The console looks stock, don't think it has been modded.

Due to reason of having to cut wires to have access to pots to find out what are needed not sure I dare take the plunge.

Anyone know what pots are needed so I can replace the existing faulty ones ??

Thanx

Mig
p.s. Would love to mod it and transform it into a better console, but in UK and have limited technical expertise when comes to electronics engineering.
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamix 3000 input modules-image_7591.jpg   Dynamix 3000 input modules-image_222.jpg  
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Head

Hi guys, I have begun a new search here as nothing has happened for me on my Dynamix 3000 since 2011...
Jim W would you please reply as I have sent you numerous emails after that you said you'd get back w more info on the mods, like in 2011.
My desk is of a later revision snr: D20028 and absolutely no Belclere's inside so I don't know if it is viable or even worth modding it???
Tested it once and heard no hum or noice whatsoever, some pots a bit stiff after years of no use having lived "asleep" in storage for at least 15 years before I got it.
The only thing it seems a bit hot in levels compared to DAW signals etc.
I would appreciate any info and possible ID of my desk, I have been proposed to change IC's and electrolytes otherwise not to bother because it won't change to much.
The thing some of you mention w more headroom etc doing some mods w the summing/master section would of course be of great interest.
I will try attaching som pics of the input modules w cards if anyone recognises them:

Cheers from Sweden :-)

Last edited by MrArtrock; 9th December 2014 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Nut

I know this is an old thread.. I'm looking for exact strip voltages.. I have the schemos but there is no voltage info other than the 48v..
thanx for any info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search