The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i´m still in the process of having my channels restored but i noticed that i am getting a very low level out of the inserts of the desk. like VERY low. when i insert my api 2500 with the threshold all the way down at -20 i just get the needle moving a db or so. i know the tip ring thing is different to other desks but i grab the signal out of the return in the patchbay and return it in the send jack. am i making a very stupid mistake?
Hello
Check manual and level diagram...
Insert is -15dBu unbal for nominal internal level

Without make up gain and regarding 2500 threshold range, what you observe seem normal to me.

Best
Zam
Old 3rd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i´m still in the process of having my channels restored but i noticed that i am getting a very low level out of the inserts of the desk. like VERY low. when i insert my api 2500 with the threshold all the way down at -20 i just get the needle moving a db or so. i know the tip ring thing is different to other desks but i grab the signal out of the return in the patchbay and return it in the send jack. am i making a very stupid mistake?
The unbalanced inserts and direct outs of the Studers can be frustrating sometimes. But you can find other ways to do things. For example if your mixing you can patch your compressor like this instead of using your insert points:
DA out from patchbay -> Comp input, Comp out -> Line in to desk.

If you're recording you can turn up the Mic Pre input gain to get a healthy level in to your compressor and adjust the comp output accordingly. The headroom on the Studier Pre's are quite good.
You could patch it like this, if it suits your monitoring setup (you'll have to monitor after AD conversion to hear your compressed signal):
Studer direct out -> Comp input -> Comp Output ->AD input.
Or:
Studer insert -> Compressor in/out and then Studier Direct Out -> AD input.
But this way will make your monitor level too hot. Signal to DAW (or tape) will be ok, though.

Do you have the stereo version or four master version?
I have four masters on my 269 and 169.
This will help when cranking your Mic Pre gain to get a good level from your inserts and direct outs. You simply route your "hot" channels to the first stereo master and turn down those master faders to avoid distorting your monitor signal.
It also makes it possible to use two of the masters on the first desk (269 in my case) as a sub group output.

Also, you can configure your Studers pretty much anyway you want, concerning the direct out mod and inserts. Like before/after EQ and fader.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict
i´m experiencing a severe drop in volume if i engage the limiter, especially if i dont have the master fader all the way up. is this normal? it does compress tho if i go up with it.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict
also every fader (incl master) seems to have a different curve which means when u move a stereo channel with that nice bridge the balance will constantly change. kinda really sucks - is there anything that could be done? can u calibrate them?
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i´m experiencing a severe drop in volume if i engage the limiter, especially if i dont have the master fader all the way up. is this normal? it does compress tho if i go up with it.
That’s not normal.
Roginator explained how to calibrate the limiters earlier in this thread. You’ll find the info in the manual as well.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsson View Post
That’s not normal.
Roginator explained how to calibrate the limiters earlier in this thread. You’ll find the info in the manual as well.
right - i found out that its the masters from one of the desks. the other one works fine. so that one needs calibration. or not because if i connect them properly i wont use that master anymore.
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsson View Post
Yes it is. I did that myself with my 269 and 169.
You’ll find the info in the manual. Basically some resistors on a perfboard. Works great!

Fredrik
hey frederik, after chaining the two consoles - is the master insert of the slave desk still working? that would be awesome because u could use it as a subgroup.

or is it possible to use the monitor out of the slave desk to drive a second pair of monitors?
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

How about this as a solution to the low levels and balancing the individual outs?
Attached Thumbnails
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 7th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, attached image, I want to take another point post eq for direct output. I'm going to take this point. So I can use the equalizer at will.
Attached Thumbnails
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail-studer-169-mod.jpg  
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Head

Great topic! I just got my 169 recapped and direct out moded (post eq/fader). Testing phase going on and all looks good and sound great.... few switches must still be replaced and some of gain pots causes some crackling and pops. Is there any place you could find new gain potentiometers to 169???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search