The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. harrison View Post
i´m still in the process of having my channels restored but i noticed that i am getting a very low level out of the inserts of the desk. like VERY low. when i insert my api 2500 with the threshold all the way down at -20 i just get the needle moving a db or so. i know the tip ring thing is different to other desks but i grab the signal out of the return in the patchbay and return it in the send jack. am i making a very stupid mistake?
Hello
Check manual and level diagram...
Insert is -15dBu unbal for nominal internal level

Without make up gain and regarding 2500 threshold range, what you observe seem normal to me.

Best
Zam
Old 3rd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i´m still in the process of having my channels restored but i noticed that i am getting a very low level out of the inserts of the desk. like VERY low. when i insert my api 2500 with the threshold all the way down at -20 i just get the needle moving a db or so. i know the tip ring thing is different to other desks but i grab the signal out of the return in the patchbay and return it in the send jack. am i making a very stupid mistake?
The unbalanced inserts and direct outs of the Studers can be frustrating sometimes. But you can find other ways to do things. For example if your mixing you can patch your compressor like this instead of using your insert points:
DA out from patchbay -> Comp input, Comp out -> Line in to desk.

If you're recording you can turn up the Mic Pre input gain to get a healthy level in to your compressor and adjust the comp output accordingly. The headroom on the Studier Pre's are quite good.
You could patch it like this, if it suits your monitoring setup (you'll have to monitor after AD conversion to hear your compressed signal):
Studer direct out -> Comp input -> Comp Output ->AD input.
Or:
Studer insert -> Compressor in/out and then Studier Direct Out -> AD input.
But this way will make your monitor level too hot. Signal to DAW (or tape) will be ok, though.

Do you have the stereo version or four master version?
I have four masters on my 269 and 169.
This will help when cranking your Mic Pre gain to get a good level from your inserts and direct outs. You simply route your "hot" channels to the first stereo master and turn down those master faders to avoid distorting your monitor signal.
It also makes it possible to use two of the masters on the first desk (269 in my case) as a sub group output.

Also, you can configure your Studers pretty much anyway you want, concerning the direct out mod and inserts. Like before/after EQ and fader.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict
i´m experiencing a severe drop in volume if i engage the limiter, especially if i dont have the master fader all the way up. is this normal? it does compress tho if i go up with it.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict
also every fader (incl master) seems to have a different curve which means when u move a stereo channel with that nice bridge the balance will constantly change. kinda really sucks - is there anything that could be done? can u calibrate them?
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
i´m experiencing a severe drop in volume if i engage the limiter, especially if i dont have the master fader all the way up. is this normal? it does compress tho if i go up with it.
That’s not normal.
Roginator explained how to calibrate the limiters earlier in this thread. You’ll find the info in the manual as well.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsson View Post
That’s not normal.
Roginator explained how to calibrate the limiters earlier in this thread. You’ll find the info in the manual as well.
right - i found out that its the masters from one of the desks. the other one works fine. so that one needs calibration. or not because if i connect them properly i wont use that master anymore.
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsson View Post
Yes it is. I did that myself with my 269 and 169.
You’ll find the info in the manual. Basically some resistors on a perfboard. Works great!

Fredrik
hey frederik, after chaining the two consoles - is the master insert of the slave desk still working? that would be awesome because u could use it as a subgroup.

or is it possible to use the monitor out of the slave desk to drive a second pair of monitors?
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

How about this as a solution to the low levels and balancing the individual outs?
Attached Thumbnails
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 7th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, attached image, I want to take another point post eq for direct output. I'm going to take this point. So I can use the equalizer at will.
Attached Thumbnails
Restauration of Studer 169console ....in detail-studer-169-mod.jpg  
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Head

Great topic! I just got my 169 recapped and direct out moded (post eq/fader). Testing phase going on and all looks good and sound great.... few switches must still be replaced and some of gain pots causes some crackling and pops. Is there any place you could find new gain potentiometers to 169???
Old 2nd June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys! Thanks for the great thread! I have a problem with my Studer 169. After not using it for 10 years I got a chance to power it on, it powered for 40-60 sec then I could hear some weird quiet noises like something was burning then I heard a "pop" and it shutdown. Power is coming from the built-in power supply (not dc converter). I checked the fuse and it's fine. I then decided to start recapping it, starting by the power supply and ctrl channel but still not luck, it doesn't power on anymore (btw can I power it on with just the ctrl module in the chassis?).

Does this problem sounds familiar to someone?

Thank you!

Octave
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
You need to check that all the DC voltages are correct before adding other channels to the desk.
Although a cap failure might have been the original problem you have probably 'killed' something else.
You should be able to run just the supply, or any combination of modules although it won't necessarily function as a mixer until the master modules and a channel are present.
Matt S
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Matt! Thank you for your help, it ended up being a bad fuse, that's simple... So now the light for "external supply" is always on on the CTRL module but when I flip the power switch it turns on the module then the relay (on the power supply from the safety circuit) trips and powers off after few milli-seconds. Does that sounds like a mistake when I recapped the power supply? Here is the component list of my recapped power supply:

1000uf/16v x2
220uf/25v x1
100uf/100v x1
10uf/63v x1
2200uf/40v axial x2
1uf/25v tantalum x1
10uf/35v Tantalum x4
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi
It looks more like something else has died.
You need to check the power boards out properly, probably outside the desk with a current limited bench supply as the usual mains transformer can supply enough to keep damaging parts.
If your description of a 'pop' sound is accurate it does not necessarily sound like a capacitor.

Matt S
Old 4th June 2019
Here for the gear

Hi Matt, thank you for the update.

What would be the most efficient process to quickly identify the damaged part? Attached is a pic of my power supply/stabilizer module.

Btw as per the documentation by shorting the emitter and the collector of Q103 I'm able to bypass the safety circuit, to start debugging.

Thanks again,

Octave

Last edited by octavez; 4th June 2019 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Add picture
Old 5th June 2019
Here for the gear

The latest. If I'm bypassing the safety circuit I'm reading at the end of the pcb: DC +48v, +26v, 0, -26v instead of DC +48v, +15v, 0, -15v. I can feel the lower left part of the pcb heating (where all the small resistors are) but not much heat elsewhere. I attached the schematics from the manual for reference.

Any hints is welcome! Thank you!

Old 26th July 2019
Here for the gear

PSU is fixed! I had to replace both BD796 transistors, they were shorted in my case.

I recapped the full mixer but now I'm having an issue with the right master (master 2) that is missing in the monitor module. The direct out of the right master works fine but in the monitor board I only have the left side. I checked on both headphones output and on the external output too with monitors.

Any ideas where to look first?
Old 1st August 2019
Here for the gear

Fixed the second issue, the transformer for master 2 on the monitor module was dead, I just replaced it with a new Neutrik NTL1 and it works perfectly!

I'm calibrating everything now, and I was wondering what tool do you use to measure proper line level, my true rms dmm doesn't seem very precise with frequencies above 500 hz?
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Do any of you know the type of crimp connector that are being used on each module? I looked at d-sub ones but they are a bit different. I need female ones.

Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

169 Board crimp connector

I will need to look it up. I think we sourced a couple of variations from Mouser or Digi-Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavez View Post
Do any of you know the type of crimp connector that are being used on each module? I looked at d-sub ones but they are a bit different. I need female ones.

Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you Scott! I think in the meantime I was able to found them on mouser: TE 60983-2

::

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search