The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIY Subkick Build - What to do with Tweeters? Studio Monitors
Old 7th April 2019
DIY Subkick Build - What to do with Tweeters?

I was talking recently to an engineer I know and respect, and whilst talking about drums he mentioned that he pretty much never records a kick drum these days without using a sub-kick mic. In his case, he has an NS10 driver on a mic stand, but it got me thinking that maybe I could have a go at it using the (otherwise) useless old stereo speakers I had lying round the house that no one wanted to buy on ebay.

I rigged up one simply by opening the back, desoldering the wires from the two speakers, removing the tweeter, and soldering male XLR connectors to the speakers. making sure the live wire was connected to the negative side, so that when the speaker moves backwards, that is received as a positive signal to the XLR connecter (I know I'm getting my terminology wrong here, but I hooked it up and the sub mic was in phase with my other mics as I had intended).

I tried it out on a big old Gretsch kick drum, and it did what it was supposed to - had a resonant frequency of 47-50Hz. I bought a 20dB inline pad for a fiver as my engineer friend had warned me that they send out a pretty hot signal, and it worked fine. Yesterday I wired up the second speaker into another subkick mic to give to a drummer mate of mine.

So far, so good, so what?

My question now is what creative enterprises can I use the two tweeters for? Should I put one back in the cabinet of one, wire it up similarly and use it as another flavour of subkick? Should I wire it up as an alternative speaker to send guitar (or other) signals to? Should I stick it in the soundhole of a busted old acoustic and try to use it as a weird pickup for that?

What would you do?

(Pics below are of one speaker sub with the tweeter left in the box, but not connected, the other with the tweeter removed, and lastly the pair of tweeters.)
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Subkick Build - What to do with Tweeters?-20190310_202800.jpg   DIY Subkick Build - What to do with Tweeters?-20190406_175333.jpg   DIY Subkick Build - What to do with Tweeters?-20190406_180011.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search