The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fixed a Morpheus
Old 8th November 2018
Here for the gear

Fixed a Morpheus

Story of fixing a Morpheus...
(tldr: clean the ROMs by popping them out)

I decided to check CL one night and noticed an E-MU Morpheus for $50, not fully functional. I hadn't much looked into E-MU before, so I hadn't even heard of it, but a quick Google search convinced me to give it a go.

It was booting to a blank screen with all the buttons lit. Nothing on the screen and no response from the buttons. Booting into test-mode not working either.

I put in a new battery in, and was able to boot into diagnostic mode. Did the reset and viola. All tests passed. Everything worked....until the next day, when it went back to booting blank.

For a few days it went on like that. I'd open the thing, poke around for a bit without doing much, and that would bring it back for a short bit. It never started working on its own though, which seemed strange.

Google wasn't helping much, but I did find some thread about a different synth where the ROMs lost connectivity from buildup on the pins. They sit in sockets, so are somewhat susceptible.

So, I popped the 4 ROM chips and cleaned them with a brush and alchohol. That worked, but it took a few times. I gave 1 chip an extensive cleaning, so that one is always working, but the others are still a little shotty. Ultra-fine sandpaper is probably better. Wet/dry kind with alchohol. Auto supply stores have it if the hardware store doesn't. The unit seems to boot as long as there is one ROM engaged, so I haven't gotten around to it yet...

Anyway, that's my story. Bitchin' little synth for $50!! Seemed like a relatively common issue without much info, so hopefully someone finds it useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Fixed a Morpheus-20180930_205000.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search