The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 16th January 2018
New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger

After trying a radial jdi duplex in my synth studio and thinking "damn this thing sounds great- i wish it had more inputs", i finally got around to building the summing mixer i had in my head.
Built like a tank with australian harbuch output transformers (i actually prefer them to jensen, a little more vintage tone and almost twice the size).
From what ive heard, harbuch started out in the 70s making jensen knockoffs when the demand was there. after trying prototypes with sowter, cinemag and jensen, i found harbuch to have the richest harmonics, especially in the top end with a solid low punch (this of course is just my opinion- the results are subtle but noticeable).
Simple design with no bottlenecks- just a solid metal enclosure, thick copper wiring, correct resistors, sheilded inputs, and transformers to balance the xlr output and add some colour when they saturate. Similar to the summing section of a vintage neve console. Ill try do drop in some pics here.
Small and compact enough to use as a plug and forget floor brick or nice enough on your desktop. Passive design, you need preamps for makeup gain.
Friends have asked me to build them after trying them and loving the sound (most notable in comparison to a budget mixer). very useful for recording instruments (DI merger) or summing mixes. Sounds great plugged into interface preamps... and even better into a tasty neve/api clone!
Attached Thumbnails
New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger-img_3784.jpg   New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger-img_3785.jpg   New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger-img_3786.jpg   New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger-img_3787.jpg   New custom 12x2 summing mixer/DI merger-img_3792.jpg  

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 16th January 2018 at 02:59 PM..
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

That looks super neat! Would you have some sort of schematic for similar summing devices? Trying to find one in groupdiy but having a hard time.

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2018
nice! any audio demos?
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by japasetelagoas View Post
That looks super neat! Would you have some sort of schematic for similar summing devices? Trying to find one in groupdiy but having a hard time.

Thanks.
PM me, i cant really send you a schematic as every transformer has a different wiring code and may require different resistors. Its a pain to go through so many prototypes and components to get it right. But i can help you out.
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
nice! any audio demos?
Not yet, although i plan to get a website up in the near future that will have audio demos if people are interested in the product. As far as i know theres not much around like it unless youre willing to spend big money.
But if enough people show interest in this thread ill post something here. Ill do three takes with basic pre mixed song- one ITB mix, one directly into my interface pres, and one into my STAM AUDIO neve clone + UA2192 converter...
The closest ive seen to my design is UNIT AUDIO summing mixers, but none of them are transformer based.
The results are very subtle, and also depends on the preamp used for makeup gain. but in camparison with your average mixer, even plugged directly into my RME pres, there is no contest. Transient detail is more evident with a nice subtle vintage console punch.

Last edited by andrew caramia; 19th January 2018 at 12:16 AM..
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew caramia View Post
Not yet, although i plan to get a website up in the near future that will have audio demos.
The closest ive seen to this unit is UNIT AUDIO summing mixers, but none of them are transformer based.
The results are very subtle, and also depends on the preamp used for makeup gain. but in camparison with your average budget mixer, even plugged directly into my RME pres, there is no contest. Transients are all there with a nice vintage console punch.
cool...yes it does tend to be subtle...have you thought about building a line/pre amp into one?
Old 19th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
cool...yes it does tend to be subtle...have you thought about building a line/pre amp into one?
Not really, too hard!
And i think it might reduce its versatility. You can pick and choose the preamp you want, it can be used as a DI merger for live use, high end instrument recording in the studio, and summing mixes/stems- while being compact, passive, and portable.
Old 30th April 2018
Here for the gear

Just ordered one of these. Looks like it'd be a perfect pairing with the Louder than Liftoff Chromas I'm using
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search